[10] Teammate

The last bell rang, along with it rang my heart wildly. So many thoughts were conquering my mind, wrestling with each other.

Was I still his girlfriend now that he did my homework and helped me? Was I still eligible for sitting on his bicycle?

The mere mention of that bicycle, brought a ping in my aching leg. I breathed tiredly. No matter how exhausting this day was, I could feel something still so enthusiastic inside me. Since the Maths class.

Alyssa picked out a packet of chips from her pocket, muttering, "You know it's all clear. Nothing confusing when he, in front of whole class, helped you."

Joan didn't wait to put her own opinion. "Right. Little arguments do happen in relationships, Lori. But if one of you is trying to remove them and makes peace. That is so caring and loving."

I widened my eyes. "Woah. Woah. Are you guys my friends or his? There shouldn't be any use of these big words. Care. Love. Oh my God. Give me a break!" I walked ahead, minding my healing leg.

Turning around, I waved my hand. "Bye."

Instead of looking at me who was walking towards the main gate, they were glancing at the bike stand, giggling. I looked at the bike stand with my heart flying over my chest and it skipped when I saw Marcus waiting for me with his arms crossed across his chest and his eyes stuck on me in which I could see the hidden anger.

Wait. It was me who was angry. Right?

"Go, babe. Mend it up." Alyssa managed to mutter even when I was ten steps away from her.

My gaze went to the glaring glasses of his. For someone else, he was just watching his girlfriend. But for me, he was burning me.

I gulped while taking a look towards the main gate where all the students who go by foot were directly leaving. My eyes moved back to the nerdy handsome standing at the cycle stand.

I bit my lip, walking quietly towards the parking lot. What had I signed myself into? It was fine not being on talking terms with your creepy ass neighbor. But the God above was bored and made my ass the bull's eyes for Marcus and his death bike.

The stares, again. And I used to think, someday I would be this famous celebrity and enjoy each second of all the attention. Here, I couldn't even suffer those judgmental eyes. Worst was Ted's presence in the lot. My eyes wandered to all of his group busied in making plans for the evening and glancing at us in between.

But there on this one side, with juniors picking out their cycles, Marcus was standing with his arms crossed across his chest. Not to ignore the way he was observing me looking at Ted.

The thoughts started messing with my mind. Should I continue being angry with him or forget about it? He did a favor to me by completing my homework, saving me at the last moment like a hero.

Hero.

Marcus' pretty eyes narrowed when I slowed down my steps still deciding my next steps—towards his bike or directly to the school gates. I took a glance at the gates and back at him.

There, his eyes were speaking for him. More like threatening me to ignore his wait and leave for myself. Feeling my heart thumping since Joan and Alyssa were still watching us along with the most of the parking lot, I reached him.

Without any comment, Marcus turned around settling his bike's balance as I sat behind him. Before I could even get out of my thoughts, we were ahead of the gates, on the road going towards home without any word.

I was calm yet a storm was filling me because this boy had saved me from getting scoldings from my Maths teacher. He helped me do all the homework last night and when I ripped those pages, he did it again for the sake of saving me.