Ch.1 Crash and burn

Most of my family burned with my home
Now I sit and eat lunch all alone.

"Next" a cranky woman snapped from behind a metal mask. She slopped a vile sludge that was supposed to be mashed potatoes with gravy. I grabbed a fork and spoon, placed them on my tray and looked for my triplet.

"Isadora!" Duncan bellowed "over here" I sped past a couple tables of snobby kids before taking my place beside my brother. He pulled out his dark green notebook and babbled on about some notes he took during passing period. I wasn't listening much, I was simply thinking of a couplet to describe the day so far. Lately, I have been having a bit of writers block.

This day was a boring one
Lacking in laughter and fun.

My couplet was equally boring as the past few days have been.

"Trouble writing?" Duncan questioned.

"Yup" I sighed "nothing interesting to write about".

"You could write about how handsome I am" Duncan said with a smirk. I smiled at this and worked out a couplet in my head, then stated,

"My brother Duncan looks like a troll
That washes its hair in a toilet bowl" Duncan's smirk dropped into a pout as I bursted out laughing, he walked right into that one. I brought out my notebook, almost identical to Duncan's but mine is black. I wrote down the couplet I just told Duncan. It was the first couplet I have written in weeks! Then shortly after, I heard the sound of tap shoes coming from behind me.

"Hello cakesniffers!" A red headed brat sang

"Hello Carmelita" I sighed

"How's the orphan shack, I hear it's very cozy this time of year!" The whole cafeteria turned its attention to us, knowing they were in for a show. "I often wonder what it's like to live a life a horse would be ashamed of" she and the rest of the room exploded with laughter. I personally couldn't care less about what Carmelita had to say about me, I choose to take the high road knowing that it would only end badly for me. Duncan on the other hand cares very much about what others think of him, he used to be popular at our old school. I guess he wasn't used to this many people not caring, or disliking him.

"Well at l-least I'm not a cakesniffer!" Duncan fired back. Definitely not his best comeback. Carmelita seemed to have the same opinion as me and scoffed at him and turned to the now attentive crowd,

"Can you believe him!" She smiled as she draped herself over a table dramatically, "he called me a - a cakesniffer!" She sat up quickly "is that all you got, definitely not as fun today" she scoffed and walked away to the sound of all the school (including most of the lunch ladies) laughing at my brothers weak attempt at redemption.

I turned towards Duncan to see how he handled Carmelita's attempt to make us upset. I will never let her win so I kept my head held high. Her lame attempts to make me mad will never work on me. Her jokes aren't even funny, people just laugh because if they don't, Carmelita will come after them. Yet, I still didn't show my resentment towards Carmelita but as I said before, Duncan doesn't handle any type of embarrassment well. He sat down, his face red, his brow furrowed, he was infuriated.  Duncan stormed out of the cafeteria, and being the good sister I am, I cleaned up both of our lunches and went after him.

I found him angrily scribbling away in his journal in the shack. I sat down on my bale of hay and looked at him sympathetically. This isn't the first time he ran off after a Carmelita incident.

"You okay?" I asked. He didn't answer, I wish he didn't let words effect him so much. We have been here for almost a whole trimester now and he still doesn't understand that no matter what we do we will always be alone. I now have a couplet to describe the day.