Home Has Rules Of Its Own

The tea was getting cold in her hands as her friends casually caught up over the kitchen table. Along with her mood. To be sitting in that place without doing nothing...

"Then, we shall not disturb Cartaphilus' rest, for the sake of his recuperation." Elias said as he was taking a sip from his cup.

"Good." Adolf replied, equally calm, "He's all wrapped up in bandages and we are hoping he can recover from his wounds now, since we eliminated the anti-regeneration spell Renfred cast on him."

"Mmmm..." Elias agreed.

"I'm going to be honest, Ainsworth. It was a desperate measure that Renfred took... but a good one. I know that given the circumstances, we have no choice but to help him... Even if I would rather not but..."

"I understand." Elias said, leaving his cup on the table, "We both have a very deep connection with the Dragon's Nest, and his incursion was a great violation of its safety. However, the dragon's children are safe now. Given the fact that Cartaphilus' motives were his desperation, helping him is the most peaceful way to prevent him from causing trouble again.."

"I guess so." Alice said, acidly. It was evident that the incident in the car was still fresh on her mind.

Elias's words were mature and realistic. He was making a real effort to help in this situation. The fact that he was the least emotionally involved one in this less probably helped.

However, even if she appreciated his efforts to become a more trusting and caring person, Chise couldn't find the energy to say anything. She just kept looking at her own reflection on the cold tea.

Elias noticed her lack of words, so he tried to bring her to speak.

"Tell me, Chise. Have your classes been difficult? I tried to teach you as much as I could, but the change in the type of lesson might have been too much. The College, as every teaching institution, has a style of its own."

Chise shrugged.

"It wasn't so bad. Just took a little bit of getting used to"

"I'm glad." Elias said relieved, "And how about your friends? Adolf told me that there was an incident recently?"

"It was just a misunderstanding, Ainsworth." Adolf promptly replied, "You don't need to worry."

"Are you sure, Adolf?" Elias inquired him, "Her hair is shorter. I didn't know you cut your hair."

I can't believe it.

"I don't care about my stupid hair, Elias!"

Chise put her cup down on the table with enough strength to nearly causing a worrying sound, and she raised the voice over their casual conversation. She was bright red, visibly shaking and frustrated about this situation. Silky let out a small squeak.

"Ruth disappeared two weeks ago! And you are just here drinking tea like nothing happened!"

She stood up, clenching her fists and hiding her eyes behind her bangs.

Elias and Alice tried to reach out to her, but Elias arrived first. He held her arm while he made her look up to him.

"I know you must be upset, Chise. But he knows what he is doing. We have to trust him."

"But...He could be in danger."

"In that case, you would have sensed it, wouldn't you? If nothing alarmed you for two weeks in his state, why should we worry now?"

He was right, of course. Ruth was her familiar, ever since that day at the cemetery. The two of them were connected. They were supposed to share one mind, one soul, one destiny. A fae that was going to be by her side all the time.