Old New Friends

"It can't be..."

The elongated body of the old fae was standing right in front of them, oddly proportioned, like it was a being from another world. It appeared from nothing, void to person in a single second, a few moments ago.

Chise hadn't seen him since back in London, when Elias ripped his head off. She thought for a moment that, maybe, he had died, but deep inside her, she had known that such an old and powerful fae wouldn't be taken down so easily.

Ashen Eyes had been a threat to her from the instant they met, tricking her into nearly leaving Elias, scheming a convoluted game with Stella and his brother that nearly ended up in him and Elias being lost forever in a lake... Yet, the last time they met was even worse. The fae had appeared to defend an overly emotional and cornered Joseph, bragged about how entertaining they were for him, like they were toys. Chise didn't want to be a toy anymore. In fact, she was sick and tired of it.

Now, she was finally in front of him again, with Joseph, in a cemetery, and Elias was nowhere to be seen. What happened to him? What kind of trick did Ashen Eyes use?

How were they going to get out of this? She could feel her left arm pulsating.

As tense as she was, Joseph was beside her, a lot more serious that he was on the way here. His usual side smile disappeared as soon as Ashen Eyes appeared, and what was left behind was a severe expression. Even he knew that Ashen Eyes was someone to be taking seriously, and for such an old fae to appear in these circumstances meant that maybe the issue was even more convoluted that they initially expected.

Ashen Eyes let out a laugh.

"I wasn't expecting you two beautiful, troubled creatures to wander into this affair of mine uninvited. But I guess adventuring into other people's fates is what this Young Mage does best... don't you?"

Chise took a sharp breath. Was he talking about the child's ghost? He was involved all along?

"But, the surprise was pleasant. I didn't expect to see you awake so soon." Ashen Eyes inclined his head towards her companion. "So you decided to follow my advice and wake up?"

He was obviously referring to Joseph. They already knew each other, how exactly Chise had no idea about, but their temporary covenant was supposed to be over, since Joseph came to stay in Elias' house, right? Or at least, that's what she thought. She swallowed the lump in her throat. She hoped that it wouldn't turn into a two against her again.

Joseph stared at the cloaked figure for a moment, so deep in thoughts that he didn't react to any of the creature's words. Chise watched their movements, too tense to move, and she almost jumped when Joseph finally spoke.

"I would be more interested in knowing the reason behind your presence in this place, Ashen Eyes. Are you here for the wraith-to-be? I don't think anything else would interest you here, but... It's strange that you'd interest yourself to a random ghost, unless it had something you wanted... I suppose you're the one who powered it up? It should be too young to be so powerful."

"You suppose well."

"Even if you treat me like a child, I'm almost as old as you are, you know?"

Joseph's tone suddenly dropped from annoyed to a playful that sent chills down Chise's spine.

"Ah, but perhaps I'm being impertinent again. Please be understanding... I barely have any elders left to respect. Souls worthy of mine are even fewer."

"Your tongue is as sharp as ever, Eldest Child of Mankind." Ashen Eyes answered. "I'm adding a new tortured soul to my collection...Do you want to help me? I believe that is your area of expertise, after all."