Love Laughs At Locksmiths

Chise was startled awake. It felt like she was still in that nightmare world, surrounded by flames, watching someone suffer helplessly. She loathed feeling so helpless, it was agonizing.

She returned to consciousness very slowly, vowing that she wouldn't let this happen again.

The first thing that gained focus in her vision was Joseph's alarmed expression. He was shaking her, she thought dimly, she could feel herself jolting, but—

She was so tired. She almost wanted to fall back asleep, but he was trying really hard to wake her up. She winced when she heard him scream her name, but didn't find the strength to do more, not just yet.

There had to be something really wrong for him to be so concerned, uh.

She was quite certain she was slowly coming back to, but when she tried to say something, her tongue was still too numb to work. She tried to raise her hand to make a sign, touch him, but he suddenly turned his head to his side, and he missed the deliberate movement of her fingers.

The next second, some sort of shadowy... wall? materialized on the edge of her vision. The swirl of thorns and brambles lunged at him., and his reaction was instantaneous— her vision blurred as he pushed her away, getting them both out of the way. She hit the ground roughly, but that jolt of pain flashed her back some awareness— adrenaline widened her eyes, and she recognized the aggressive mass looming over Joseph.

Elias.

An outraged Elias.

"I didn't hurt her!" Joseph's voice beseeched, "It was the spirit!"

Elias's voice echoed the scene, low and threatening. Bad. This was bad.

"Chise...you..."

"Elias, he's telling the truth." Even Ruth was trying to soothe him, but the inhuman mage didn't listen, trembling instead. "I don't like the guy. If it was him I would've been tearing him apart with you."

Why was Elias quivering? Was he angry, or afraid?

Joseph didn't say anything else. His expression was closed off, his visible fist clenched— in resignation. He knew he was no match for Elias without any chimera or Fae at his side, so his best bet was to stay quiet and not enrage Elias more, dodge any blows until he could be stopped.

Ruth hovered a few steps from them. She could feel him hesitating in her mind. He knew he should try to placate Elias, but... he didn't want to attack him, he didn't want to defend Joseph, and he was concerned over her. But Elias might attack any second. He didn't want any innocent person hurt.

But Joseph wasn't innocent, and he stayed still, indecisive. He wouldn't move in time, if it came down to it.

...she had to do something. Now.

She gathered her strength, wincing from her sore body, and tried to yell.

"Elias..."

Okay, she failed the yelling part.

Her body still felt numb and sore, but it was cooperating. She was barely capable of speaking very softly, more like a murmur than a yell. But it was enough.

It was enough for Elias to turn his head to her, completely disinterested from Joseph. Good. One crisis averted.

"Chise!" the mage exclaimed, hurrying to her side, "You're awake!"

He took her hand. His skin was cool. When did he take off his gloves? Did they rip when he transformed? "Chise... are you alright?"

"Y... Yeah. Just sore. 'm fine."