Masked Memories

I haven't properly introduced myself yet. Well I'm going to skip the formalities, since I'm sure you've got a good picture of my personality. My name is Izuku Midoriya.

To best explain my situation is to first explain the situation of the world I live in. As many scientists and gene therapists would say, the human is always evolving. The future that I happen to have been born into, is a future where it's normal for a person to hold special abilities, know as "quirks".

Today, it's quite rare to see someone without a quirk, and, they may even be ostracized because of it, but that's just how the world works.

Well as time goes on, people start acting like people, using their quirks to get what they want of course. Murder, robbery, shootings, you name it, with quirks, all these issues got ten times more difficult to deal with. That's when heros stepped in. They decided to use their "quirks" for the sake of others.

Soon enough being a hero became a profession, and schools and agencies were built upon the foundation of justice.

Then there's me. I was wide eyed, filled with innocence, I had freckles that dotted my plump cheeks, and messy green hair that was painted atop of my head. I was quite short, but smart. I had a knack for being particularly shy and kind. But I guess the key word here is was. After I was dubbed quirkless, I clung to All Might, and soon, he finally responded. He gave me his power, and I was admitted into UA. All caught up? Good. 

***

It was a short bus ride. I pressed my cheek against the foggy window pane, and cringed slightly every time the bus screeched to a stop. The sound was like nails on a chalkboard, or a fork scraping against a porcelain plate.

I went over the library of information I had stored in my hero notebooks, hanging on every word I had pain stakingly scribbled onto the crumpled and ripped pages.

Shoto Todoroki, a quiet, placid man, decided to sit himself next to me. His hair was ear length, and was deeply separated by a scorching red on his left, and chilling white on his right. He had slim, piercing eyes, one a breathtaking crystal blue, and the other a calming grey. On the left side of his face was a rough scar that had plastered itself over his intense blue eye. He had a small, long nose, and a mouth that never smiled, and barely spoke.

He had a dark energy to him, and his expressions were always that of uninterest. Soon the skyline of an empty city came to view. Towering buildings of different sizes with the same generic design and nothing inside them. Roads with no people, empty benches and parks. A place with the facade of vitality and people, that was empty and all too silent. I never liked it. It was just too quiet for me.

All Might and his manliness stood at the front gate into the empty city. He had an earpiece lodged in his ear, and a large smile glued so perfectly onto his face. I grinned brightly as I slipped on my hero costume.

It was sewn nicely, but it just didn't fit me the way I imagined it. The sea foam green was out of place, the face mask wasn't my style, the whole thing was baggy, and worst of all, the head design made me look like a rabbit. I'd kept reminding myself to go to the support department and get it remade, but it had always slipped my mind due to other minor issues that had crossed my path.

The others in my class bunched quickly around All Might, with their new costumes that looked much more appealing than mine did.  He started getting into the details about being put into teams, and facing off against each other in a two heros versus two villains scenario. How we'd have to try and either detain the other team members, or "capture their flag" or in this case the bomb.

It all seemed a little over the top to me, but the adrenaline had rushed to every corner of my body. I wanted to see how much experience I'd gained in the past months, and who I'd go against. I wasn't much for promoting fights, but when it came to getting stronger, all I needed was a good reason to.