Fifty-Six - May 4, 2018

Miles

I had only been staying at Luke's house for nearly a week, but I had learned a few things already.

First: Luke's mom was an excellent cook. She cooked every single night. And when I say cook, I mean actual meals. I haven't eaten so well since my mom died.

Second: Even if Luke's house wasn't as big as mine and didn't have a pool, it was a far better home than mine had ever been. It was warm, welcoming, and best of all, I didn't have to be afraid every time I stepped over the threshold.

Third: Something was broken inside Luke's mother. I haven't been able to put my finger on it, but there's something there.

I was lying on the bed when I heard a knock on the door of what I had started to call my bedroom. "Miles?"

"Come in," I called, sitting up against the headboard.

Luke came in and plopped down at the foot of the bed, handing me a brownie. "My mom just made these... I thought you'd want one."

"Yas," I said appreciatively, taking the brownie and savoring the warm chocolate as it melted in my mouth.

We sat and chomped on the brownies for a moment when Luke cleared his throat. "State championships are tomorrow, right?"

I swallowed the last bite of brownie, nodding. "Yep. We ended up playing South Walton... I think we can win," I said lightly.

"Good. Rachel, Brooke, and I will be there... Dad wanted me to ask if you want him and Mom there," Luke said, picking at a string on the comforter.

"What? Of course I do!" I exclaimed.

Luke held up his hands. "I knew you did – but he insisted I ask."

"Of course. Your parents have done more for me than I ever deserved. More than my pathetic excuse for a father. I wouldn't want them to miss it."

"Good. I'll tell them... Miles?"

"Yeah?"

"What if your dad shows up?"

I shrugged. "I don't know... I really don't. I'm just going to avoid him at all costs."

"We'll keep him away from you."

I looked at him. "Keep him away from Rachel."

"Definitely."

Rachel

"Mom, I swear I'm fine," I insisted, rolling my eyes.

"Are you sure?" she asked, coming into my bathroom and standing behind me.

"Yes! Have you seen my grades lately? They're all back up to As – even physics," I replied, looking at her in the mirror as I combed my wet hair.

"I'm not talking about grades, Rachel Mae," my mom said, and her tone was serious.

I turned around and walked into my bedroom, Mom at my heels. "What do you mean?" I asked, climbing under the covers, hoping she'd get the hint and leave me alone.

She didn't.

"Ever since prom, you've been acting strange," Mom said, sitting next to me, and my stomach flipped.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I lied.

I knew exactly what she was talking about. I guess William had hit me harder than we originally thought, because my face had actually started to bruise. I was so paranoid about my parents noticing that I kept concealer on my face constantly – going so far as to carry it in my pocket and reapply it when they weren't looking. I was also paranoid that they were going to find out I stayed with Miles on prom night, so I avoided the subject of prom altogether. I told them that we won King and Queen, showed them a few pictures, then dropped the subject. For the past week, I'd been so worried about Miles that I never put my phone down – I had it on me constantly so I could check in with him. So yeah... I guess I had been acting strange.