Seventy - May 25, 2018

Miles

"You ready, Rach?" I asked as she ran toward me after graduation practice, a huge grin on her face. She nodded and took my hand. "You still nervous about your speech?"

She shook her head. "Nope," she replied.

I wrapped my arm around her shoulder and pulled her close to me as we walked. "Good. I wish you'd let me read it."

She shook her head again. "No way! No one's read it except Vice Principal Milton. It's a surprise!"

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. You hungry?"

"When am I not?"

"True."

She hit me as I waved to Luke and Brooke. They jogged over, hand in hand.

"Want to ride together?" I asked. "It's a nice day to take the top off," I said, gesturing toward the Jeep.

"I'll say," Luke growled in Brooke's ear. She giggled and swatted him away.

Rachel and I looked at each other and made gagging noises.

"Oh please!" Brooke said, shoving Rachel gently. "You're one to talk."

I shrugged. "She's not wrong," I said, grabbing Rachel suddenly and planting kisses all over her face. 

As we horseplayed all the way to my parking spot, the affection I felt for not only Rachel, but Luke and Brooke too, was overwhelming. If I hadn't given them a chance to change my life, there's no telling where I'd be right now.

***

After breakfast, I dropped Brooke and Rachel off at their houses to get ready, and Luke and I headed home.

"Have you heard from Detective Walker today?" Luke asked as we pulled up at the house.

"Not today, but he told me that visiting hours were Saturday... as if I wanted to see him," I scoffed.

"Well, I was thinking, maybe we should go see him."

"What?!" I asked, nearly running off the road onto the sidewalk as I turned to look at him.

"Look at the road, genius!" he shouted.

"Sorry, sorry. But – what?! Why in the hell would you want to go see him?"

"I want to see his face when we tell him that we know everything," Luke said, and the venom in his voice was unmistakable.

I considered this and nodded slowly. "All right. We'll go tomorrow. But for now, let's enjoy graduation day."

Rachel

I sat in front of my vanity, straightening my freshly washed and dried hair, going through my speech in my head.

I heard a soft knock at my door. "Come in," I called.

It was my dad, bringing my cap and gown into the room on a hanger. "Here you go, sweetheart. Mom just ironed it for you."

"Thanks, Daddy."

He sat down on my bed and patted the mattress next to him. I sat down, pulling my legs underneath me.

"I'm so proud of you, baby girl," he started, and I held my hand up.

"Don't make me cry yet!" I exclaimed, and he laughed.

"I just know how hectic tonight will be, and I wanted to make sure I got a little time with you," he said, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"Aww, Dad. Thank you... I couldn't have done any of this without you and Mom."