Chapter Fourteen

Adrenaline spikes from my chest to the soles of my feet as I stare at the word on the mirror.

Omega.

Mysterious chokes out a laugh and rubs his closed fists against his eyes. No one else makes a sound as his chuckle changes into almost maniacal laughter from disbelief. I feel lightheaded, mainly because I almost just died, but also due to the awkward silence-laughter conversation that's going on right now. I shift my feet and something brushes against the back of my leg. Now, like any sane person, my immediate conclusion is that there is a spider on me. I'd like to think that my reaction of banshee screeching and jumping back from the mirror while frantically swatting my leg is appropriate.

"Olivia? Olivia!" April yells from behind me.

"What's happening in there?" The Head Alpha sounds annoyed that he can't peer into the darkness beyond the mirror.

"I thought there was a spider... it's not a spider." In my hand is definitely not what a tiny eight-legged creature would feel like. It is soft, furry and is freaking me the fúck out because not only can I feel the sensation of being touched in my hand, I can also feel it in the thing. "Mysterious," my voice shakes and I dread the question I'm about to ask, "remember when you said that Omegas can be visibly differentiated?" 

"Yes."

"What does that mean?" Silence.

"Can you come into the light please, Olivia."

"You didn't answer my question." More silence.

They might not be able to see into the room, but I sure as hell can. Twisting my torso, I can see that I have a very new and unexpected extra appendage. I have a fúcking tail.

"What in the actual áss."

"Now Olivia, the last thing we need right now if for you to freak out -"

"Oh, I'm definitely freaking out." I spin back to face them, feeling as my tail rests against my legs. "Maybe if you had told me I'd have a freaking tail, I wouldn't be freaking out as much. What next? Are you going to tell me that I have little furry ears too? That would be oh so lovely."

"You also have little furry ears." Alpha Davies spoke, her face showing no signs of jester.

"Oh, you're hilarious. As if I'm going to have -"

If I hadn't already died before this moment, I'm pretty sure I did now. Running my hands over my hair again, there are two soft pointed ears right behind my hairline. My hair has long since fallen from its braid and I frantically flick it out of the way, only to feel smooth skin where my ears would usually be.

"My fúcking ears are fúcking gone!"

"Olivia," Mysterious sounded like my therapist, "I know I probably should have mentioned this earlier-"

"You, reckon?" The words come out as a squeak. My heart is pounding as I hold my tail in one hand and one of my furry ears in the other. I feel like a goddámn anime character right now.

"I know this is hard to adjust to, unfortunately I didn't have to time allotment that I would usually have and was unable to explain this procedure in full detail." Mysterious rubbed his face and April patted him on the back. To his left I watched Gayle roll her eyes and look to her watch.

"We have other places to be. You can fill her in on the details later, unless you want to continue wasting everyone's time and hide in the dark forever." I drop my tail and take three steps to the mirror. I am this close to throttling her.