Chapter Twenty

"Stop!" Alex's scream rings across the clearing, gathering the attention of everyone in the field.

I push myself into the dirt, trying to lay as flat as possible despite the roots and sharp rocks digging into my exposed stomach. In our wrestling, both of us now have leaves and twigs buried in in our hair and clothes.

Shít, shít, shít, shít, shít.

"Alex?" Ryan's voice sounds from across the lake, confusion replacing the anger for a moment. A handful of people approach Alex as she sprints for the lake.

"She's been down there too long!" Alex screeches. Grunts leave her as she grapples against the people now stopping her limbs from smacking them.

"What are you doing here?" Despite his confusion at her sudden appearance, the anger has surged back in full force. "This is not a circus for everyone to come and watch." He growled, the words sending a surge of guilt and fear through me. I definitely should not be here. Technically speaking, I had no idea where I would end up when Alex peer-pressured me into coming here, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm here nonetheless.

My face is pressed so far into the ground that I can feel the blades of grass tickling my nose every time I breathe. Please don't sneeze. I squeeze my eyes shut and push my fist against my nose in a desperate attempt to suppress the tingling sensation. How cliché would it be for a dámn sneeze to give away my position?

Aria breaches the surface of the lake with a loud gasp, her eyes bloodshot and her lips pale.

"Aria!" Alex struggles in her attempt to reach her. Aria's head snaps towards Alex's voice as two of her comrades pull her from the freezing water. A towel is wrapped around her but her eyes never leave Alex.

"What are you doing here, baby?" Aria's voice is scratchy and waterlogged.

"Now would be a good time for an explanation, Omega." Ryan's voice is closer than before and I now notice he has crossed the river and now towers over everyone in the clearing. Also, the fact that he called Alex 'Omega' instead of by her name hasn't gone unnoticed.

Despite his nasty glare currently piercing Alex's soul, my gaze wanders over his body now dripping with water. His clothes cling to his body as droplets run down his forearms and drip from his hair. I watch as a single droplet caresses his neck before sliding down his chest behind his shirt. Dámn, what I wouldn't give to be that droplet right now. My eyes widen at the rouge thought and I immediately squash the feeling deep, deep down. Am I seriously jealous of a drop of water right now?

"She lasted the whole six minutes, Ryan." Alpha Davies called to Ryan from across the river. She looks grateful for the space put between them. "It's an admirable feat, let them hug it out." Ryan only nodded, not sparing a glance in her direction.

The Warriors release Alex and she doesn't wait a heartbeat before stumbling to her Chosen. I could listen to their conversation if I want to, but I have a feeling that the words between them are meant only for each other.

Ryan tilts his head and sniffs the air. Weirdo. His head snaps to the left and suddenly his eyes are staring right where I'm desperately trying to become one with Mother Earth. Fear spikes through me but I know there's no way he knows I'm here. Right? I haven't made a single noise and my muscles are aching from not moving for so long. Paranoia rises in me as his gaze doesn't move away. He knows, he knows. The hair on my neck stands on end.

I risk glancing at the Werewolves closest to me and the pressure in my chest eases slightly when no one else is looking in this direction. Everyone else is muttering amongst themselves, in anger and annoyance, at their ceremony being crashed by an Omega.