Chapter Twenty-One

It's been three days since the incident. Yes, I'm now referring to it as the 'incident'. I don't think I've ever been more embarrassed in my life; emerging from the forest looking like I just lost a fight with a raccoon and the first thing I did was throw up a peace sign. A peace sign. I shudder, remembering the snickers from the group of Warriors.

Honestly, I'm not too bothered by the fact that I had been laughed at, instead the thought that's been bothering me since was Ryan's reaction. Or should I say lack-there-of. He had seemed shocked at my sudden appearance. He knew I was there, he knew I was hiding but he think I'd turn myself in. He thought I would hide in fear, and he was wrong.

His green orbs had stared into mine, realisation taking over his features. Realisation of I don't know what. I thought he would raise his voice, yell at me for the whole world to hear, scold me in front of his Pack. He didn't. He looked at me as though he had expected me to fail. His eyes flashed a brilliant gold, pride dancing in their depths. I felt like I had been dipped in sunlight, warmth caressing my soul in the same way it had when I had spied on my Potential connection with him. I had taken one step toward him, which was all it took for the moment to be sharply severed. I gasped at the sudden cold that wrapped itself around me. His lips lifted in a silent snarl before he turned his back and marched into the forest with an oh-so polite 'fück off' to those who tried to follow him.

So here I am now, glaring intensely at the back of his head as he barks orders at Pack members fighting each other down on the green field. He has been training them since the 'incident', rotating them in groups every few hours from before daybreak until well after it goes dark. I wanted to apologise for the 'incident' but every time I venture into the field to find him, he goes M.I.A. None of the Pack members will give me any help either, if I knew better I'd think he's making them stay quiet. I want to have an adult conversation with him but since he wants to act like a child, he won't be getting any apology from me. Great, now I'm the one acting like a child. My glare intensifies.

"Are you still trying to kill him with your mind?" Blondie, whose actual name is Sean, chuckles behind me.

"Yes." I grumble and cross my arms.

Since the 'incident' I've been able to properly introduce myself to a few of the Pack members; including Blondie, Brown Hair and the two girls I'd met when I escaped the second time. I've learnt that Sean, 'Blondie', and the girl with curly brown hair, 'Jess', are Chosen's. Michael, 'Brown Hair', doesn't have or want a Chosen, and Rachael is Jess' best friend.

"I don't blame you, he has been acting weird." Rachael comments. Michael flops onto the couch while shoving pretzels into his mouth by the handful. Sean shoves him out of the way so that he can sit down.

"I mean, you did kind of show him up in front of the Warriors. Not to mention you're his Po-" Michael was cut off by Sean shoving an elbow into his ribs. I narrow my eyes at the action but choose not to comment. What are they hiding?

"I didn't mean to," I rub my eyes and look back out the window, "embarrass him I mean. I don't regret the rest of it."

"Not even the peace sign?" Rachael snickers as she steals the pretzels from Michael despite his protests.

"Fück off." A low grumble leaves my chest, a sound that reminds me of the fact that I'm definitely no longer human.

"Speaking of," Jess moves to stand behind me at the window, "I'm surprised we haven't heard anything from him about you two crashing the Trial. Everyone's been waiting for him to address the Pack about it."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, he did say you guys would be reprimanded if Alex didn't snitch." Jess clarifies.