Stuck

"What? Class 310 is also part of the musical department?" I slam my hands down in bewilderment. Lucia and Xina nod at me. I gnaw my lip in envy. That's Justin's class.

     "We're in that weird competition too," Lucia added. "And there are a few students participating who aren't from MD (musical department)."

     "That's almost a hundred people!" I exclaim. Iris' eyebrows shoot sky-high.

     "I think only eighteen people will make the cut," Indie whispers. "Nine boys and nine girls." 

     "I hope we make it in," Grace suddenly says. We agree with her, despite the heavy knowing that there was very little chance of that happening. Not a single one among us was at least B rank. Hopeless.

     "Justin and Zhu Zheng Ting are A ranks." I sigh, feeling happy for Justin. 

     "What about Fan Cheng Cheng?" Xina asks eagerly. Grace smirks as Lucia holds in a laugh.

     "F rank." We all start giggling--not at Fan Cheng Cheng, but at Xina's crestfallen expression. I'm glad that I won't have to worry about Justin. Or at least, not yet.

     "Cai Xu Kun got an A; I knew he would," Iris boasts. The others giggle some more. "Irene, what's it like sitting next to a god?" I suddenly begin poking absent-mindedly at my salad. He's the dullest guy ever.

     "Eh."                               

❅ ❅ ❅

     "Don't get us wrong; we want you to succeed. I don't wish for any of you to be eliminated from this competition," Lay tells us later. "Because of this, I'll assign those with lower ranks a higher-ranking partner to help them. They'll also be your new partner for that project I mentioned a few days ago." He wiggles his eyebrows at us, and the class groans. I doubt anyone even tried working on it yet.

     He cuts to the chase immediately, though. Lightning fast, he switches peoples' partners. I'm pretty sure I won't be paired with Iris. A low-rank with a low-rank? Not happening. But as long as I don't have to work with an essentially mute boy, I think I'll be fine. Lay comes towards our table.

     "Wow! You guys can stay like that." He taps our table. My jaw drops. Lay's already moving on to the next table, unaware of my astonishment. I swallow back the protest. Shouldn't someone with his rank be paired with someone lower? An F rank needs more help than a C rank like me, I think irritably.

     Cai Xu Kun hasn't commented either. Our eyes lock for the slightest second. There's no emotion in his, and mine is full of challenge. He averts his eyes and I break eye contact. It's unsettling for me to stare at anyone, really. 

     Our communication is extremely flawed. I've even resorted to writing notes and giving them to him later. Or maybe I should just talk with Lay. Ask for an arrangement. But I don't want to be seen as a pestering student in the eyes of a 湖南师范大学附属中学 alumni.      

     I'm not sure who I'm talking to, but I'm sure Cai Xu Kun heard me. I'm not facing him, but I'm close enough. "I guess we're stuck."

❅ ❅ ❅

Cai Xu Kun's POV

"I guess we're stuck," my partner sighs. I guess we are. I don't give her another glance. I felt there was no need to communicate with her. What was her name, Irene? I had better things to do than spend my time talking to her. Like writing my song. I allow myself a tiny smile when I glance down at the paper in my hands. Lyrics are scratched onto the paper, and I reread them over and over.

I Wanna Get Love

My baby girl

You already know
If you call me baby, I will come so fast
If you need me baby, I will be your side
I'm captivated by your body, baby girl
I just can't resist you, baby girl

Of course, I wasn't done, but it was a start.

Why help Irene when this could be an automatic ticket into college? My song is filled with emotion and thought. I started writing the lyrics on the first day of school. Although I transferred here sometime ago, I still think of her. And it bothers me. A small part of my head wants her to come back. I think maybe that's why I wrote this song. I think maybe, that's why I'm like this. Somewhere, off to the side, Irene mutters, "I wish I could switch partners." I'm not offended in the least; the feelings are mutual. 

"I guess we're stuck," I murmur.