Practice Session

The school must've tried their best to tidy up the MD. Our old, dusty, crappy practice rooms were now larger, and some had glass walls. The inside had been painted different colors ranging from a brilliant white to multiple pastel shades. Each room had genuine pianos--some even held grand pianos. It was definitely a massive improvement from the electric keyboards. All of us gaped in awe as we were directed to our designated "studios." Cai Xu Kun and I ended up in Studio B.

     "So, you're teaching me how to sing today?" I intended for it to come out as a statement, but my words became a question instead. I was still unsure of whether or not yesterday was to be taken seriously. Much to my relief, Cai Xu Kun bobbed his head. He looked up at the clock for a second.

     "Oh, I also brought some lyrics I scribbled down." I showed him the papers.

     "You don't need them," he said, putting them to the side. His voice startled me. Having heard him speak only once, it always surprised me that he had such a melodious voice. But melodious voice or not, I frowned. I had spent some time working on the lines last night. Heck, I even researched rhyming words. But here he was, tossing them aside without a glance.

     "But I-" He ignored me, and cut in.

     "Your vocals need to improve if you want this to work." Blunt and straight-to-the point. I couldn't help but frown even more. He walked over to the piano at the side of the room. Only giving me a sparing glance, he said, "We'll start at the basics. Listen."

     He played a C note. I rolled my eyes. Who did this guy think he was? I knew how to play the piano.

     "I know how to play the piano," I interrupted. His cold gaze leveled on me with annoyance.

     "Then you should know how to sing."

     "What are y-" I stopped when he shot another silencing look. His eyes were as sharp as flint and unsympathetic as a rock. This guy.

     "Do~" he sang quietly.

     "Do...?" Unlike his calm voice, mine quivered with uncertainty. He had a skeptical purse to his mouth, like he wasn't sure if I could handle singing.

     "Re~"

     "Rei-" My voice cracked horribly. Cai Xu Kun winced and stopped playing altogether. I flushed, feeling only humiliation at the moment. "I'm not good at singing, I know." Cai Xu Kun rubbed at his temples. 

     "Then get better." I suppressed the irritation. He couldn't even show an ounce of kindness? 

      "Fine." I stood up angrily. "But I'll learn myself." He didn't even blink when I stormed out of the room. He had only cocked his head in what I interpreted as vague curiosity. I decided to peek through the rooms of the other students practicing. I was so intent on watching Iris and Nong Nong that I ran smack into someone. 

     "Ugh, I'm sorry, I-" 

     "Irene?" I looked up. Justin was staring down at me. My face heated immediately. 

     "Oh, hey..." I laughed nervously. 

     "'Sup?" He looked around, as if trying to find Cai Xu Kun. Obviously, he wasn't around at the moment, so he looked at me again.

     "I um, my partner..." I mumbled, unable to form a coherent sentence, "um, my singing wasn't good enough. I kinda left." His brows shot up in amusement. "I'm trying to learn on my own right now."

     "Really? Same," he chuckled. "My singing is terrible."

     "Aren't you rapping for your project?"

     "How did you know that I rap?" Justin asked, confused. Irene shut her mouth when she realized her mistake.

     "Oh, I uh, hear from Indie. Sh-She talks about everyone," I stammered. If Justin didn't believe me, he didn't show it. We kept walking until we reached the end of the hall for the MD. There was an empty practice room. My heart thudded as Justin kept walking.

     "Do you wanna work together? We both suck anyway," he joked. Working with Cai Xu Kun? Doubtful. Working with Justin? That would be...

     "Perfect," I breathed. "Yeah, totally."

❅ ❅ ❅

     I spent nearly three hours hanging out with Justin. I was feeling giddy beyond relief. No, my singing probably hadn't improved at all, but that didn't matter. Xu Kun never bothered to even come look for me, so I didn't feel a need to end the fun. 

     I was still giggling when Justin suddenly spotted a discarded piece of paper on the floor. It was crumpled up, but the words were still legible. The handwriting was quick, and elegant in a messier way. Someone was probably jotting lyrics for the project.

     "You think this could help?" Justin voiced my thoughts indirectly. Heck yeah. It wasn't the best way to get a head start, but it was a boost. I nodded excitedly, my eyes glued to the paper. If I looked at Justin now, he'd see how red my face was. He slowly unfolded the wrapper and scrunched up his face to read the lines. It was such an adorable action that I had to look away temporarily. He didn't notice because he was so immersed in reading the paper. I finally turned his way when he let out a guffaw of laughter.

     "Wow, look at these lyrics," he chuckled. "Someone must've been pretty stressed writing these." He handed me the paper, still laughing. I raised my eyebrows in amusement, wondering what could be so funny.

◇◇◇

My baby girl
You already know
If you call me baby, I will come so fast
If you need me baby, I will be your side
I'm captivated by your body, baby girl
I just can't resist you, baby girl
If you call me baby, I will come so fast
If you need me baby, I will be your side
I wanna get love
I'll take you home
Fill up the alcohol and turn up the music all the way
I wanna get love
Put down your walls
I wanna get close to you, to hear and smell your breath
Yeye
I fell for you at first sight
I fell in your trap the very next second
I'm feeling, feeling, feeling

◇◇◇

Everything that comes afterwards is crossed out. The song actually makes my face even redder. 

     "Uh, this is..." I don't know how to finish the sentence. 

     "Eh. They should work on the rapping." Justin carelessly takes the paper away and tosses it. I reach out a hand to get it back, but he blocks the way and I give up.

     "Yo, have you ever tried rapping?" Justin peers at me curiously. "Since you don't really like singing." 

     "Um, not really." I can roast people pretty bad and talk really fast, but I'm pretty sure that's not what he means. Justin gives me a lopsided grin, and I completely forget about the paper he tossed. 

      "Then we should have rapping practice. Screw the project."