Deal

Justin's with a pretty Korean girl who transferred recently. I cringe when I see them walking together. He's smiling as he explains little details to her. It's a reasonable pairing, since he knows a little of the Korean language. I lower my eyes and try to walk out without looking like a complete loser. I probably fail, because I hear Justin walking up behind me.

     "Yo, Irene!" I turn around to look at him. He grins when he gets my attention, which makes my heart speed up twice its normal rate. "You were paired up with Cai Xu Kun, right?" I steal a quick glance at the Korean girl, who's already walking away with some other friends. I relax when she's gone. 

     "Y-yeah." I want to sink into the floor when I hear my voice.

     "Cool." He lowered his voice to a whisper. "If you ever do make the guy sing, could you record it?" He looked like he was going to burst out laughing. I laughed awkwardly, blushing at how close he was.           

    "Yeah, sure."

     "'Kay, thanks. See ya." He walked off when he saw Fan Cheng Cheng and Zhu Zheng Ting. I watched him leave, a stupid smile plastered across my face. I began humming as soon as I started walking again. It was Firewalking; a pretty popular song nowadays. Just as I was about to get to the chorus, a voice interrupted me.

     "You're off-beat." I turned around and rip out the earbuds, glaring at whoever blatantly said that. The person next to me is none other than Cai Xu Kun. He blinks nonchalantly. 

     "Thanks, but no thanks," I snap, about to plunge the earphones back in to block him out. But then he starts singing softly. I'm so startled, and when I come back to my senses, he's already stopped. It was only a snippet of the song, and I'm already straining to hear more.

     "That was really good," I admit, stunned. I've never heard him speak, but today I got to hear him sing? And no wonder he was A rank quality. With a voice like that, he might as well debut as a singer. I quickly realize that this is an opportunity for me too. I try to summon the courage to ask, "C-could you teach me how to do that?" Cai Xu Kun cocks a brow.

     "Do what?" 

     "Sing. How to sing like you." I swear there's something of a smile on his face, but it could also just be my imagination. Either way, he nodded. He handed me a slip of paper before walking off. I looked down at the scrawled writing. It was a series of numbers; probably his phone number. I looked up again to ask him why I need it, but he was already gone. I frowned. How do people disappear like that?     

❅ ❅ ❅

      I found myself sprawled over the bed, video chatting with Iris. I still wasn't sure if I was happy because Justin talked to me, or because Cai Xu Kun agreed to help with my singing.

     "He gave you his number?" she shrieked.

      "Yeah, but like, it's not like I'm going to call him," I say. Iris looks like she's ready to reach out of the screen and slap me. 

     "What is it? His number?" She asks, immediately turning up the volume on her headphones. I laughed evilly.

     "Sorry, no can do." I smiled mischievously. It wasn't Justin's number, but just having Xu Kun's number gave me an advantage over so many others. I knew I was selfish, but I didn't want anyone to clinch the spot. "Besides, your partner is Nong Nong. You should be fine." 

     "Nong Nong is so shy though," she pouted. 

     "At least he's not like Xu Kun. Sometimes I swear he's mute." Iris giggled. Then a serious expression crossed her face.

     "How about this: I'll help you with your partnership with Cai Xu Kun. I'll help you get him to talk. And in return, I get his number." Iris winked. I pondered the idea. Iris was much more open, and talkative. Maybe that could work. And besides, she wanted his number for other purposes. Nothing related to the competition. "I'll even help you with Justin." That's what sold me.

     "Deal."