Audition

When I arrive at the place Cai Xu Kun texted me, I gape at the sight. The exterior is simple, but the interior was breathtaking. I could see brilliant lights flashing from the triangular design of the set.

     "Wow," I breathe. "He's really serious about it." After waiting a little longer, the show started.  The first people were from Mavericks Entertainment. I thought they performed pretty well. I smiled and clapped with the audience. The dancing was powerful, and the song was catchy. 

     But then Lay announced them as D's and F's. Shocked, I noticed that the elimination and judging for this audition was uncannily similar to our class project. Up until now, I've been able to advance to B rank. However, I could never go beyond that. Cai Xu Kun remained firmly in rank A. I study Lay curiously. Maybe our class project was more like an "experiment" for this show.

     "For those of you murmuring about whether or not I have made a mistake, allow me to say that I have averaged every mentor's assessment and they are this way." Everyone breaks into shocked whispers and frightened tones. Even I'm scared now. Yes, Cai Xu Kun can sing, but can he dance? Can he rap? Is what he can do enough?

     "Next is Ciwen Media," Lay announces. The guy dressed like he was going to Paris walks onto the stage.

     "Dong Yan Lei. 20 years old. Total training period of 10 days," Lay muses. Everyone gawks.

     "Ten days? It was probably rounded up from more than five," Dong Yan Lei jokes. "I might be a little different from the other trainees. I'm not in a group, and I haven't had fundamental training. It may get a little awkward, so everyone, please don't make fun of me." The room cheers, encouraging. I think the atmosphere is almost lighter.

     "There is no right or wrong in music," Jackson says. "Don't be afraid." Yan Lei's eyebrows shoot up.

     "Really? So going off-tune is not wrong," Yan Lei says. I laugh. But the humorous feeling evaporates. Yan Lei also receives and F rank. Either I'm tone deaf, or horrible at judging music, but I thought he did fine. When Ronghao jokes about the stiffness of the singing, a few people laugh. I spot Cai Xu Kun laughing as well. He's seated up near the top at about seat number 3. I frown. He should be sitting on that throne at the top. 

     After a crazy dancing showcase from Locking Jack, Mercury Nation, and several other companies, Lay has stopped each one for lack of "balance". Balance, balance, balance, balance, balance. It's what he tells us in class every day. I can feel frustration emitting from the others. The next ones are also "poor performances," as Lay puts it. Jeez, so harsh. More and more groups come and go, and I'm nearly falling asleep. Until a hushed silence falls over the crowd. I look up, barely awake.

     "He's coming, he's coming."

     "The solo trainee." 

     "I've seen him before."

The crowd cheers, and Cai Xu Kun steps onto the smooth stage floor. I freeze. He looks so different. Instead of his normal uniform, he's wearing a deep blue jacket over the most scandalous shirt I have ever seen. And ripped jeans. Is that makeup? I almost pass out just from looking at him.

     "Hello, mentors. I'm Cai Xu Kun." He bows and glances downward shyly. 

     "So you're performing an original song?" Lay questions, flipping through some sheets. Cai Xu Kun nods quickly.

     "Yes, it was self-composed." 

     "Why did you write it?" Ronghao asks. I lean in, waiting to hear what Xu Kun's response is. 

     "This song was actually written when...I was under a lot of stress."

     "Based on these lyrics, I could tell your stress levels were pretty high," Ronghao comments. Lay chuckles. Cai Xu Kun covers his face with embarrassment. Kyulkyung and Cheng Xiao giggle hysterically. 

     "May we see what you ranked yourself as?" I lean forwards. I told him he'd be number one. He slowly pulls away his jacket to reveal...Rank A. I grin. Looks like he had some confidence.                

     "The first person to perform a self-produced song. The pressure must be huge. Good luck," Ronghao nods. And it started. Cai Xu Kun adjusts his jacket a few times, causing a few of the other audience members to imitate him. The song starts with a strike of jaunty beats and Cai Xu Kun swaggering. It's so startling that I blink rapidly. Is this really Cai Xu Kun?

     In a single movement he flings his jacket off. I legitimately fall off my seat. People near me don't even look at me because I swear, we're all wearing the same expression. 

     In an equally swift motion, he brings the jacket back on and begins to

     In an equally swift motion, he brings the jacket back on and begins to...roll his shoulder? What is that even called? The familiarity of his singing calms me. But then he kills me again, because he starts rapping. If the lyrics aren't enough to make me become the shade of a STOP sign, the fact that Cai Xu Kun looks at me square in the eyes is.

     "I wanna get love."

Cai Xu Kun breaks into a series of dance moves, wowing everyone. Even Lay is beaming for once. Relief washes over me. He's going to pass. He's going to get number one. Because who knew? Cai Xu Kun can sing, rap, and dance. I sit straighter as the mentors discuss his final result. Jackson and MC Jin finally end the silence.

     "You've already got the right concept and feeling. In my opinion, this was a very complete performance." I clasp my hands together happily. This was it. Cai Xu Kun was definitely ready to receive his A rank.

     "To be honest, this song has very little meaning." MC Jin says, unexpectedly. Even Lay turns, surprised by his sudden commentary. Jackson chimes in.

     "None of the rap sections left any strong impression, either. Your rapping is lacking." Oh no. I suck in air through my teeth.              

     "And the final results of Cai Xu Kun's ranking evaluation are..." 

C O L D

ᴄᴀɪ xᴜ ᴋᴜɴ

0:45 ─────●────────── 1:09

 |◁                ▌▌              ▷|

A/N:

🔓 1 K❗

MILESTONEEE

💗 💗 💗 

THANKS SO MUCH YALL! This chapter was probably the most predictable because it was based off the episode. The next one's coming soon, dw ;)

I know a lot of people do something to celebrate reaching 1K reads, but I don't have any definite plans. So if ya'll have any requests, feel free to share them. I'm always open to new ideas 😁 !