Chapter Three: Fight or Flight

This storage space was the most homogenised environment Vell had ever seen in her entire life

This storage space was the most homogenised environment Vell had ever seen in her entire life. Not a single outward jutting corner that someone could use to smash a head against, not a single loose object that could be used as a weapon, not a single raised level that could be fallen off of...amongst other things. Vell peered around the place as she remained crouched behind a stack of cushioned storage spheres.

She was used to unkept bays sprawled with cabling and cuboid crates. It was this difference in starship upkeep that she used to distract herself from her current predicament. It was her first assignment as an officer of the Green Lantern Corps, a force that she was drafted into without any choice in the matter, and it had gone so far South that Vell was sure that there was no fixing it. Over one hundred high-risk criminals plus one Yellow Lantern sergeant were locked inside this prison facility with her...and her partner of course, who was currently scouting out the next hallway. They were sealed in here with their power rings on low battery, and the ability to recharge was blocked by the elaborate security tech built into this prison.

Vell spied Hal as he slinked back into the room and jogged quietly over to her. His uniform was dirtied and torn, and his face was bruised, matching Vell's. They'd gotten involved in several scuffles thus far, and none of them went as planned. A fair number of the criminals here possessed levels of strength that would give a certain caped kryptonian a hard time, let alone a pair of weakened Green Lanterns. "A patrol's incoming. Keep your ring slung."

"We could destroy them in half a second." She retorted, raising her ring.

Hal shook his head and raised a hand to her. "I'm getting sick of repeating myself, lady. Look, we need to play this smart, alright? As soon as our rings run dry, you can kiss our translators goodbye...and I'd rather us understand each other at a time like this."

The ex-space pirate wasn't used to being resourceful. She often just blasted holes in whoever posed a threat to her... She inhaled sharply, removing the rather large amount of frustration that built up within her and asked simply "Then what do you propose?"

"There's three of them coming..." Jordan began rubbing his chin in contemplation, and Vell was confused by the strange human habit. "Medium-sized races armed with prison jumpsuits, and no weaponry...so our chances are good, but we can't afford to use any ring functionality apart from translation. I'd say disable passive shielding and strength enhancement. We still have a certain Yellow Lantern to worry about; we need to conserve power for him if we cross paths again."

Vell huffed in annoyance as she hesitantly disabled the functions that Hal mentioned. "I've killed my fair share of fools with my bare hands in the past. I don't need this ring."

Hal sighed. "Yeah, yeah whatever. Come over here." He hurried over to the door and crouched in the shadows beside it. Vell slowly followed him and tensed her brow in confusion.

"What in the name of Hyrzog are you doing?"

"...Uh, hiding?"

"Why are you hiding? I thought we decided that we're going to fight them!"