Chapter Fifteen: Code Black

The memorial for Green Lantern Tomar-Re of Sector 2813 was a painful process for Hal

The memorial for Green Lantern Tomar-Re of Sector 2813 was a painful process for Hal. He couldn't deal with loss. His father's death when he was a child scarred him for life. He, like most humans, was never ready to lose someone he cared about. For Hal, he felt responsible for those close to him; he owed it to them to be there when it really mattered, when they really needed him. Whenever he lost a friend or family member, it was like a stake through his heart.

The other Lanterns who died at the hands of Dru-Zod were members of different Contingents, so their memorials were held by the crews that they were apart of. There were two who weren't killed in action but were unfit for duty. Lantern Xultori was crippled when his spinal column was severed, and Lantern Druce Noran was lobotomized. Xultori is recovering from shock. Xultori will be granted a support role on Oa if he chooses to continue his service, or he will be transported back to his homeworld and his ring will seek a replacement if he so chooses to resign. Druce however, was beyond saving. The Guardians were confronted with the morbid task of deciding his fate; to end his now meaningless existence or let him live on as a brain-dead vessel. Hal couldn't even stand to think about making that call himself.

Most members of Contingent 93 was formed up in the plaza in front of their crew quarters. There was a holographic image of Tomar-Re before them. Green Lantern memorial services were not bogged down by speeches; they were times for internal reflection for those close to the departed. Smaller conversations amongst the attending personnel was common, but Hal wanted nothing like that at the moment.

He hung towards the back, sitting on a bench on his own. His fellow Lanterns seemed to understand what he needed; he was probably Tomar-Re's closest friend. Several Lanterns were not present including Vell. Kilowog, being the Chief Medical Officer, was presiding over her medical treatment and promised Hal he would watch over Vell so that he could attend Tomar's memorial.

Probably the only person Hal could stand seeing and speaking to currently, was the one now approaching him. John Stewart, the second GL of sector 2814 and fellow human, lowered himself into the bench next to Hal. "The Guardians have given the order. Every Contingent is on code black alert. Allied civilisations have been alerted to the potential threat."

Hal ran a hand down his face with a sigh. "And Clark?"

"He and Kara are still rerouting the storm. According to projections, Zod is aware of what they're doing. He's going to hit us well before Clark and Kara can return." John said. He swallowed then continued "And as if that isn't enough for us to take care of, the Guardians authorised the 2813 ring to find a replacement for Tomar-Re. The recruit should be Oscar Mike and here in half a cycle."

Hal had gotten used to the ex-Marine's constant use of military jargon, so he knew that 'Oscar Mike' meant 'on the move', but it proved to be hilarious when Guy was present and had no idea who Oscar and Mike were. Hal looked towards the hologram "Did I ever tell you about our first mission together?"