Epilogue

5 years, 4 months later...

July, 2003

Seventeen year old Misty sighed, bored as she relayed her expectations for the day to thin air. "Okay so I believe that boy Rainer will come back to have his rematch in the afternoon...there was also that little starter girl Lisa, but I don't know if she's coming today..." she stopped and put her palm to her head, she felt she was overthinking things. After all, as a gym leader she supposed that she would just have to accept things when they happened and just be prepared to deal with them the best she could.

Misty groaned and flicked at the desk pen for perhaps the umpteenth time that morning. "Ten o'clock and not a challenger in sight," she thought sadly, staring at the Cerulean gym's empty lobby and the empty sidewalk outside. Not a soul in sight, her Marill who was sitting nearby sighed with her.

"Ugh, stop whining already, sis," Violet huffed from her seat at the desk. It was her turn to look after the front lobby desk, and was getting annoyed at her sister's sighs. Violet grabbed the pen before Misty could roll it again. "Why can't you just – like – chill out. stop waiting around, and go busy yourself or something?"

"Why should I do that?" Misty snapped back, normally she wouldn't be so irritable, but the heat was annoying her despite the gym's cooling system.

"Oh I don't like know. Maybe because you're, like, clearly bored out of your mind?" Violet responded with a raised eyebrow as she shuffled through maintenance paperwork. "Just like, go out and enjoy the weather, or take a swim or something."

"How can I? I'm needed here as gym leader in case you've forgotten!"

"Well – like – excuse me for being concerned about your state of mind as a sister!"

"Hey, hey! Like, break it up you two," a more mature female voice then shouted. Both Violet and Misty looked up to see Daisy and Lily entering from the gym's pool room. "Okay, so...explain why you two are acting up?"

"We could totally hear you from the other side of the battle field. Like, not cool," Lily said. "Especially when a girl – who is your sister mind, is – like – enjoying her morning swim."

Misty sighed, "Sorry... but she started raving on me!"

"I did not!" Violet cried, offended. "I'm just tired of hearing you sigh all morning." Misty huffed and turned to her glass of water.

"Like, just, chill Misty. You're way too amped up for this time of year," Daisy advised, sensing her youngest sister's anxiety through the way she was fidgeting around. "Like, take maybe a few days off to hang out with your boyfriend in Pallet?"

Misty's head shot up. "As if I could!" she cried, hitting her head to the desk. "Ugh... I wish I could but I have no idea where he is! Last time he called me he was still in Kalos, and then that whole awful event with Team Flare happened and we haven't been in direct contact since!"

"Oh Arceus," Daisy said. "Is he all right?"

"I watched the news intently, yes, he's okay," Misty said, clutching her chest as she said so. "It's times like those ones where I wish I could've been with him and made sure he made it out okay."

"Then," Lily began, "why aren't you travelling with him? Especially considering like the fact that he is like your boyfriend."

Misty's became furious and she turned to her three sisters, pointing accusingly at them. "Why?" she shouted. "I'll tell you why! Because before we even turned thirteen you three suddenly left a message for me and told me that you were all going on a cruise for a year, and that you were gonna leave me to run the gym without any consideration for my relationship with Ash!"