[2] little cato × reader

( Promise )

S: Reader comforts Little Cato after the death of his father.

W: Spoilers for S1E6, Angst

T: @Probably_Izzy

_____________________________________

"Little Cato."

"Little Cato."

"Son."

Little Cato looked up. It was (Y/N). Tear stains streaked her cheeks, but she either didn't know or didn't care. For once since the young Venetrexian had known her, she wasn't smiling.

"You have to get out of here so the SAMES can fix the wall."

Little Cato looked back at the hole. They had long left the planet where it happened, but the scene played through his mind like a video.

The explosion.

The sadness.

The pain.

He shook his head, ears drooping. "No. I'm not- I'm not leaving him."

(Y/N) stared out at space, tears welling in her eyes. She inhaled, looking to the side and wiping them away.

"Little Cato, he's gone."

"I'm not leaving him!"

Little Cato jumped up, preparing to leap out into the vacuum of space. It was a stupid thing to do, but he couldn't think straight right now. All he could think about was how he needed to find his dad again.

You moved quickly, grabbing Cato's arm and pulling him into a tight hug. He froze, fur standing on end at the contact.

"Little Cato, I know you're hurt. All of us are. But please-"

You paused, clearing your throat. The tears were coming back, even more powerful than before.

"Please, let's just go."

Little Cato's eyes teared up.

"Take care of my boy."

Clenching his jaw shut, Little Cato hugged you back. He was crying again, the tears wetting your shoulder instead of his knees. You began to cry as well, squeezing him a bit tighter.

"I'm gonna miss him too Little Cato." You whispered.

Little Cato sniffed. "P-promise that you won't leave me either. Promise you won't die."

A tear rolled down your cheek and fell onto his shoulder. You knew you couldn't promise that. Anything could happen from now to the future. But. . .this wasn't the future.

"I won't, Little Cato. I'm here. I promise."

"I'll do whatever it takes."