[1] gary × reader

(  Final Conversation  )

S:  You and Gary have one last conversation, miles away from eachother.

W:  Spoilers for S1E10, Rushed Angst, Death

T:  NONE

______________________________________

Gary was hurt.

Not physically (though his ribs did ache a little). Emotionally. Everything that had happened, everything that was happening left a huge weight on his brain and heart.

Avocato was dead.

Little Cato was nowhere to be found.

Mooncake was now in Lord Commander's clutches, but he probably didn't have long either.

The Galaxy One was destroyed, and Quinn. . .

Now he was out in space, surrounded by faceless corpses and ship remnants. Only 3 minutes of oxygen left. Nobody with him except for HUE. He was truly. . .alone.

______

"Gary?"

"[NAME]?"

Gary looked around, blood level rising a bit. The audio was a little fuzzy, but there no mistaking the speaker for anyone other than his oldest friend [NAME].

"Where are you?"

There were a few coughs on the other end.

"I don't know. The- the explosion blew me in a different direction. Are you okay? How much oxygen do you have left?"

Gary blankly looked down at his feet.

"To be honest, I can't tell the difference between words and letters anymore. Or stars and city lights. . .HUE's been keeping count though. How long do I have, HUE?"

'  two minutes and fifteen seconds.  '

"Right. How about you? You breathing okay?"

More coughing, and then an answer.

"Not really. My helmet's covered in ash and my suit is pretty ripped up. I only have. . .half a minute of oxygen left."

Gary was silent for a moment, listening to [NAME]'s coughs take over her sentence. Eventually he sighed.

"Looks like my best wasn't good enough after all."

"No. You- coughcoughcough- you did good. Saving an entire planet is kinda too much to ask of a guy."

The sentence brought a smile to Gary's face. He looked up, watching a torn ship wing float by. "Thank you! That's what I've been saying this entire time! I mean, if the Infinity Guard couldn't do it then why would anybody else be able to?"

You raised your eyebrows, lightly huffing. Your air was rapidly decreasing. You didn't have long.

"You never let that stop you though. You still tried to help everyone, and that's what made you a hero."

"That might be true. But everyone I care about is either dead or near-dead because of me. I'm the worst hero ever."

You closed your eyes, feeling the cold begin to seep in. This was it.

"You'll fix it. You always fix things in the end. . ."

"[NAME]? [NAME]!"

Silence. A tear gathered in Gary's eyes at the realization of what just happened.

'  one minute left.  '