Chapter Fourteen: Borderline

Hey all - sorry it's been a while! Been in a funny place for the past couple months, and gone through a lot of life upheaval and stuff...but back on the writing again (I hope).

Here's a short one for ya! VERY VERY UNEDITED. Please excuse any typos/funny sentences/repetition etc...

Copyright sjcLewis 2019

---------

There was a condom stuck to the lid of the wheelie bin. 

Darcie paused, dropped her wash cloth, and stared at it defeatedly, momentarily forgetting the broken Chardonnay bottle in her right hand. 

It lay - slightly shrivelled and dry - across one of the bin's plastic  handles, with one long pubic hair protruding from the rim. As she was mentally preparing herself to scream for Kerien to remove it (for surley Kerien could  be the only culprit), Bash swam hazily into the forefront of her mind.

She flushed, and felt a sudden flash of anger as his word's from the previous evening echoed in her memory.

"You live like this? Don't your housemates clean!?"

Still glued to the spot, she raised her eyes to Kerien's bedroom window, fuming. It had been propped open with a chipped sports direct mug, and through it - Darcie could hear the faint, yet unmistakable sounds of  Xbox machine gun fire. 

She scowled, squaring her shoulders, but before she could open her mouth to scream up at him, her phone began to ring. The sound of it vibrating cut through her absorption like a knife, and she jumped slightly in surprise. 

"Shit." she murmured, the empty Chardonnay bottle slipping slightly in her grasp and the dregs of the three-day-old wine splashing down her arm. "Fuck it!"

Suddenly aware of herself again, she snatched the up the cloth and hastily dried her forearm, before dumping the bottle down outside the back door.

"There's a used condom on top of the outside bin!" she bellowed, before entering the kitchen again, her face like thunder. "So I'm not going near it. Pass my phone?"

Minerva, who was fishing red-cups out from under the kitchen table, paused, snatched up Darcie's phone from the sofa, and tossed it over.

"Ew- bet it was fucking Kerien!" she sniffed, straightening up and screwing her face up into one of distinct distaste. "Only five months to go before we never have to live with him again."

Darcie grimaced. "Can't come soon enough!" She sighed, unlocking her phone to read the text without enthusiasm. "So grim."

The message was from an unknown number. Darcie read as far as 'Hi, this is Audrey. Bash gave me your number..." before deleting the text with a frown. She turned the phone off before leaning past Minerva and tossing it back onto the threadbare sofa again. Her eyes glanced over the kitchen clock. It was a quarter to two. 

Minerva scooped up the final red cup from the floor and grinned cheekily. "I know I'm not supposed to talk about him...but was that Tito's fit cousin?" she asked slyly, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively. "When's he coming round again?"

Darcie felt herself flush. "He's not." she replied stiffly. "Coming round I mean."

Minerva arched a lofty brow. "Is that so?" she began lightly, folding her arms and fixing Darie with a stern look. "Shame - he seemed nice!"

Darcie rolled her eyes . "Well, he isn't!" she snapped, turning away. "And I really don't want to talk about him anymore, so are you done?"

"No, Actually!" Minerva began again, pointing an accusatory finger at her. "I have a bone to pick with you about him - why on earth did you give me that ridiculous 'call the police' speech down the phone? You just hung up on me and I was genuinely scared for you! I started to think he might have been some weirdo kidnapper, or something. If Tito hadn't said that you were with him I would have actually reported you missing..."