17| Distrust

Creak.

A screeching sound captures my attention, and I look up from where I sit at my breakfast table. Anson, as bright eyed as I've seen him in awhile, is sliding into my booth across from me.

"Why is it that you sit in the most unstable booth in the cafeteria?"

"Besides its looks, it's given no reason for me to doubt its capabilities." I giggle. "It's gained my trust." Proudly, I pat the bench.

Anson chuckles softly and blinks up at me.

"You're so weird, Blue."

I blush a little and he ruffles his hair absentmindedly.

"Yeah." I murmur.

In the distance, I see Kyle walking in to the cafeteria. He makes a beeline towards the popularity where Anson used to sit. I start to look away, but make eye contact. Kyle then looks at Anson, and turns away, frowning.

Do Anson and Kyle have some sort of beef?

I see Anson's large hand wave in front of my face. "Earth to Indie." He chuckles.

We lock eyes for a moment and Anson smirks.

"So, the date," he begins, "I've been waiting to find out. Who was the lucky mystery guy?"

I really hope they don't have beef.

His eyebrows wiggle playfully as he jokingly prys into my dating life.

I feel uneasy as he crosses his arms and leans against the table expectantly.

Here goes...

"Kyle." I squeeze my eyes shut embarrassedly. "The guy was Kyle."

Silence settles over us and I peep my eyes open again. Across from me, his ocean eyes are afire.

"Woah." He finally says. "Kyle?"

I nod.

Why does it have to be so embarrassing to admit?

Maybe because I was wrong about Kyle, or maybe because I care what Anson thinks about me..

"Was he," Anson pauses, seemingly searching for the right words, "you know, decent?"

My heart lurches at his concern, and I take a deep breath. "Yeah. He was decent. Is there any reason that he wouldn't be?"

Anson's mouth twitches, but he didn't reply. I get a strange feeling in my stomach and continue, "Actually, I had a good time."

If there's something off about Kyle, Anson should and would tell me, right?

Anson looks away for a moment and sighs. "That's good, Blue. I'm glad."

It sounds like disappointment is hidden in his voice, but I pinch myself for overthinking it.

He probably just feels bad because he wanted to see the movie too..

The awkwardness eats away inside of me, so I decide to change the subject.

"So your dad," I begin, "I was worried for you."

Anson blinks and uncrosses his arms. "Uh Yeah." He stretches. "He was distant and a bit rude, but she was nice. I almost wished I live with her instead."

I laugh a little. "Well, I'm glad things went okay."

"They would've been better if you were there." He growls under his breath.