52| Shattered

"Come on, Blue."

     The deep voice of Anson sounds in front of me as holds up a bite of quiche to my mouth and smiles. "Just one bite." The scent of egg and cheese wafts to my nose.

     Across the kitchen, Kurt watches with a mug of coffee to his lips. He chuckles softly at the sight of us. I look back at Anson and his food.

"And you made this?" I look at the fork skeptically.

Anson nods. "Since I've been eating so much fast food the last few days in the hospital, I decided today to cook up some breakfast."

   True. Bryce was hospitalized on Black Friday, it's been eight days. Anson has been going to check on Bryce religiously- after school, before school, during free period.

     He waves the bite of quiche in front of me, stirring me to the present.

You know what, I'm proud that he tried something new.

   "Let's try it then." I take a bite and act extra surprised. "Mmm." I nod, catching Kurt's eye.

Flavors burst in my mouth- they're actually pleasant.

"Not to interrupt, Anson, but what do you mean about the hospital?" Kurt calls across the room.

Anson puts the fork down and sighs. His arms flex against the kitchen counter. "You know how Bryce got hurt? He's in ICU. I've been going there every day." I see the muscles in his back tense beneath his shirt. I have to fight the urge to hold him.

He's been sleeping in the hospital, too. I think with a frown. He's been showering in the locker room before school, I've been taking his clean clothes to him.

I wish he wouldn't spend the night there. Unhappiness catches in my throat.

Kurt sighs. "I'm sorry your friend is injured. Did they say what the damage is?"

"Enough to put him in icu." Anson grimaces. "Broken bones and a head injury to be more exact."

Bryce can get through anything. I tell myself.

"He was drunk at the time of the wreck?" Dr. Fischart asks.

"Yeah."

Kurt shakes his head. "He's lucky to be alive."

"That remains to be seen." Anson snaps.

Remains to be seen?

Kurt and I look at him in surprise.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

Anson's acting like Bryce might be better dying. What's that about?

"It's just," He stammers as if he said too much, "You know, with head injuries-" I narrow my eyes. His jaw twitches.

"Well I understand, son." Kurt interrupts and starts talking. I can't focus on him. Something seems off about Anson.

He's hiding something, I know it.

    What would he be hiding from me?

"I guess that's enough talk about the unknown." Kurt's voice is audible once again in my ear. I blink at him, and he continues. "Did I tell you all that Kate contacted me again for the first time since we broke things off?"

Anson shifts uncomfortably. I shake my head. "No." My voice is light. I remember our nearly-pleasant encounter with her son at school.

"Well," Kurt puts down his mug and picks up a newspaper. "She told me there were no hard feelings. She also told me that her relationship with Kyle has improved since she broke things off. Apparently they're moving out of town and to a new school. Kate's going to oversee things better and Kyle will attend."