XV

I hit his arm quite hard with my other hand and start screaming for help. The guy won't have it, though, he places his hand on my mouth. Without hesitation, I bite his hand. He is shocked and loosens his grip on me for the slightest moment.

I use that moment to kick his shin and make a run for it. My body physically is so tired from already running quite some time, but the adrenaline is kicking in and I run faster than I probably ever have.

The store is really close now and I can see Ethan already there. He hasn't noticed me yet, he's frantically looking around him. I don't know how he got here so fast but I don't even care right now.

I want to shout his name but before I can, a hand is covering my mouth again. 'You little bitch', the guy's voice hisses in my ear. His other hand is holding my arm tightly. It hurts and I'm pretty sure he can break it if he would want to. Let's not get him to do that. 

I kick backward but he saw me coming and dodges my kicks. 'Not this time. You're coming with me, pretty baby.' Every time he speaks, he spits on me. It's awfully disgusting.

I can still see the shop, see safety, see Ethan. I am so close yet so far from him. I try to get out the man's grip but he's got me tightly, I can't get out. I really need to get out, escape. Not really trying to get kidnapped and taken god-knows-where today. 

I try to scream, make noise, for him to notice me. I am still moving and wiggling while the man is attempting to drag me away into the shadows once again. I decide that screaming isn't the best way to go since there's a hand blocking my cries so I start stomping the ground as loudly as I can. Anything to make a sound. I'm not giving up.

I can see Ethan still standing in the doorway of the store. He seems to have heard something. 'Zera, are you there?' I start stomping and somewhat screaming again to catch his attention. He definitely heard me now. He has to have heard me by now. Please let him have noticed me.

'Stop it, you bitch.' The guy has probably noticed Ethan standing there by now and is trying to take me away even quicker. I'm not letting that happen and try to resist everything he is attempting, even trying to dig my heels into the cement to stop him from getting me with him to his car. 

Finally, Ethan looks my way and we lock eyes. That was about time. Concern takes over his face and he starts sprinting my way. The guy notices the running human as well and is now literally dragging me to his car. We must be close to it since his speed is picking up despite me trying to stop him.

My kidnapper stops, he must've reached his vehicle. He is breathing slightly harder. His one hand is still on my mouth while his other is around my stomach to drag me with him. His head hastily turns to open his car door and not even a second later, Ethan's fist collides with my attacker's jaw. The guy lets me out of his grip and I fall to the ground. I scramble away, not able to get far. Nearly all of my energy is drained from the running and being frightened of this guy.

I'm sitting on the sidewalk, zoning out. I half progress Ethan punching the man, but it's all so blurred I can't be for sure. I hate this situation. It all doesn't really hit me yet. I know I won't be able to walk on the street at night without feeling fearful for quite a long time.

I just want to be home right now. In this delusionally happy little daze. My mom sitting there at the kitchen table with her cup of coffee and a smile while reading a book. My dad coming home from work and giving her a kiss on the cheek instead of her lips 'because he didn't like the taste of coffee' and my mom's huge smile after that. My dad playfully chasing me to smother me with kisses and my giggling filling up the house.

That memory seems to be my little safe spot. That one day everything seemed normal, the last day before we fell apart, is all I can think about now while faint screams and sirens can be heard in the blurred background.

I feel someone touching my shoulders and I flinch away, snapping out of my trance. It's Ethan, who is looking pretty terrible, with a bloody nose, cuts on his eyebrow, jaw, and cheekbone and overall bruising in quite a few places.

'We need to get out, I know you're feeling bad but we need to run.' Concern is written all over his face. I try to stand up, I really do, but my legs won't cooperate. I see Ethan frantically looking back, the guy he hit must not be happy. Or knocked out. I had wished he was the latter.

With all the energy I have, I attempt to stand up. It doesn't work, my knees are not strong enough to keep myself up. I nearly collapse but Ethan grabs my arm, keeping my body up.

Go, Ethan. You look horrible. I can't run now, go save yourself. I am not worth this fight, I try to communicate telepathically with him. I can't speak though, it's like all words and energy were taken from me. I'm just in a state of shock or something. I don't feel like I can control my body anymore, it's all a blur.

Ethan grumbles, upset that his plan isn't working out the way he had wanted to, and looks over his shoulder once again. 'We need to get going now. Please don't choke me', he says and crouches down in front of me. He's offering me a piggyback ride. I feel so bad and guilty for making him come here.

'Don't even hesitate now, Zee. Get mad later.' Why does he know me so well? I use all the energy I can find from every fiber in my body to hoist myself up onto his back. He starts walking as fast as he can towards his car.

I can hear footsteps behind us now. Ethan hears them too and starts to run, with me clutching onto him for dear life. He opens the driver's side, nearly throws me in the car headfirst, closes the door behind me and starts the car's engine immediately. He locks the door because the guy reaches us. The creep starts banging on the windows and with every bang, I feel smaller.

I'm still half lying in the passengers seat, not even bothering to move due to my lack of energy. I could even fall asleep in this extremely uncomfortable position. 

Ethan presses his foot down on the gas and speeds away from the creepy guy. He drives for a good fifteen minutes, while I'm still curled in a ball, not able to move a muscle. It's like I am paralyzed. Ethan's arm is placed in front of me and prevents me from falling or hitting something.

He then stops, somewhere in a parking lot of a closed supermarket. He takes his hands off the wheel and gets out of the car. I don't even process it nor do I seem to care. Why me? Why couldn't I defend myself? Why am I so weak? 

Ethan opens my door and pulls me upright. I am sitting up now but my brain doesn't work. He gives me a hug while I'm limply sitting there. No emotions, nothing. Why don't I feel or show anything? Is this my coping mechanism?

'I'm going to help you stand up. You need some fresh air. I'll hold you, please let me.' He softly yet firmly, if that is even possible, grabs my arms and helps me up. Seeing my feet aren't working, my only two options are either falling to the ground or grasping onto Ethan for dear life. My automatic response seems to do the latter and my arms find their way to his torso. 

He moves his arms to hug me back tightly. I don't know what it is but my emotions finally catch up with me and tears start rolling down my face while I bury my face into his shoulder. My body starts silently crying and I feel it shock with every breath I inhale. I can barely breathe with my face in Ethan's shoulders but I don't want to see the outside world right now. I only slightly register his subtle kiss on the crown of my head in an attempt to calm me down. 

After just a few minutes, I feel myself getting very tired again and my knees nearly buckle underneath me. Ethan somehow notices. He sits down on the passenger side of his car and pulls me onto his lap. His arms trap me into his safe little cage built just for me. My body won't stop crying and shaking while I'm in his arms. 

'Shh, you're alright now. I'm here. I won't hurt you.' His whispers fill up the car, breaking the silence that had previously taken over the night.