Chapter 2

That evening, Jack returned to Jamie's home, peeking in through the window. A smile lit up his face at the sight of the boy and his little sister getting ready for bed. He loved these children in a way because they all believed in the spirits, even if he was not one of them. Yet still, they knew how to have fun. As the years had gone on other spirits found it difficult to find believers, or so he had heard. Many disappeared without a word, wishing for solitude. Jack could relate. It had been decades since conversing with another.

        Their mother shut off the light, carrying Sophie to her own room, Jamie settling down into the bed and closing his eyes. Realizing there would be no games tonight, the spirit moved to another rooftop. "There's something I'm doing wrong," he muttered to himself. His eyes then glanced up at the moon overhead. "Can you tell me what it is? Because I've tried everything. And no one ever sees me. You put me here. The least you can do is tell me why." There was a long silence, Jack turning away in defeat. "Figures..."

        Despite his sour mood it brightened at the sight of golden strands of sand descending from the clouds, forming into objects and figures before slipping inside homes and moving through the town. Jack chuckled. "Right on time, Sandman." He watched for a few moments, admiring the beauty of it all, catching brief glimpses of their dreams.

        "You know, I could report you for stalking." Jack staggered in his step, having to catch himself before falling off the roof. He quickly looked around, wondering who had just said that before glancing down. There in the street stood Ally staring directly at him. "This isn't the first time I've seen you around during winter."

        Jack looked over his shoulder to be sure that it was him the older teen was talking to before staring at her once more. "You can see me?"

        "Of course. Why wouldn't I?"

        The spirit's eyes lit up in delight, jumping down to her level, which surprised the girl greatly. How was he so graceful and unhurt? "You can see me."

        Her brows furrowed. "Are you all right?" He laughed in joy, causing the teen to step back.

        "I'm not dreaming, am I?"

        "Not that I'm aware of."

        His face suddenly popped up in front of her own, startling the human from how close they had become. But her mild discomfort seemed to not lessen his sheer happiness. "What's your name?"

        "Ally... Who are you?"

        "Jack Frost."

        Her eyes widened, lips parting in amazement. "You're joking."

        "No! No! I'm real!" He grabbed one of the teen's mitten covered hands, sending a chill through her body from the contact. His touch was so cold and he seemed to be over the moon at the fact that his form didn't pass through at contact. "I'm real. And you must believe in me if you can see me."

        She was a bit hesitant before answering, "I believe in all of the legends. My father studies them."

        Jack laughed again. "This is amazing! Finally someone can see me!"

        Ally looked at him confused. "Aren't there others?"

        The happiness began to fade, the teen now sorry she had asked. "No. You're the only one." He released the hand, shoving his own into the pocket on his blue, hooded sweater.

        "But kids are supposed to believe."

        "Well they're only told stories of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and Sandman. No one cares about anything else really. I'm just 'an expression'."