Chapter 4

Ally sighed softly, closing the book and setting it on the nightstand. Turning out the lamp she laid down in the bed beside Cupcake, who slept soundly in the dimly lit room as a nightlight cast a pink glow. There was movement above her head as the last wisps of golden sand entered through the cracked open window and formed into a unicorn with Cupcake riding it excitedly. It was such a beautiful sight. Lightly pushing the stray hairs from the child's face the teen smiled. However she couldn't help but worry. All of the kids she babysat had been complaining about nightmares as of late, unable to sleep well some nights. Everyone grew afraid of their dreams every now and again, but the fact that everyone was affected in some way at the same time was unsettling. And at that thought something in the air didn't feel right. Heart thumping wildly in her chest, Ally's eyes scanned the room finding nothing there. But even that reassurance wasn't enough to calm her. Shuffling further down onto the bed and placing the book against her chest Ally relaxed her body pretending to be asleep. A chill swept through the room and the teen had to force herself not to shiver before a dark chuckle came from the far corner of the space.

        But it wasn't human. No door had been opened, nor the window further. Whatever was in here with them materialized through the walls. "Oh, I thought I heard the klipity clop of a unicorn," a sinister voice spoke lowly. "What an adorable dream. And look at her, precious little child. So sweet, so full of hope and wonder. There's only one thing missing. A touch of fear." Ally could feel Cupcake shift beside her on the mattress groaning, wishing to reach out and comfort the child. She resisted though, listening as the man chuckled. "That never gets old. Fear. Fear. Fear. There. What a pretty little nightmare." Whatever is was exhaled heavily through its nose and Ally dared a peek just barely cracking open her eyes to see. They quickly snapped shut before the intruder realized she was awake. It had the appearance of a horse, it's coat dark, eyes yellow. And the man, his skin was like ash, hair dark, standing tall over them in a menacing way. If he grew too close Ally would attack the stranger. "Now, I want you to go tell the others. The wait is over." There was a whoosh as they rushed past leaving them alone in the room. Carefully, Ally's eyes opened checking to make sure the coast was clear before glancing down at Cupcake.

        She stared in horror at the black sand that swished around the space above Cupcake's head as the child restlessly shifted in the bed. It was frightening her, having consumed the peaceful dream and turning it into a nightmare. She couldn't watch anymore, slapping at the black sand and causing it to dissipate. The teen then shook the child's shoulder and Cupcake jumped, eyes darting around. "Shh, it's okay sweetie," Ally whispered, seeing her distress. Tears came to her eyes cuddling into the babysitter's side as her arms circled the trembling child.

        "I had a nightmare," Cupcake stammered.

        "It's not real. Whatever you saw wasn't real."

        "But it felt like it was."

        Ally stroked the girl's hair, tucking a loos strand behind and ear. "Now you know you have control of your dreams, right?"

        "How?"

        "It's your imagination. If you don't like what's happening, if something's scary, you have the power to change it into something that makes you happy. It's your dream after all."

        "Do you have nightmares?"

        "When I was your age, yes, but I've learned to control my fears." Cupcake sniffled. "I'm afraid of snakes awake. And one time when I was dreaming one was coming after me and just before it could hurt me it turned into a balloon and I dreamed I was at a carnival."

        "Really?"

        Ally gave her a reassuring smile. "Really. Now why don't you try and sleep. I promise I won't leave your side until your mom comes home."

        "Promise?"

        "Yes."

        Slowly, Cupcake fell back to sleep, Ally getting comfortable as the child pressed against her side. There were no more nightmares when her parents came home. Still the black sand was unsettling. And the stranger in the bedroom. Ally didn't like it, tugging the scarf tighter around her neck and mouth. The teen really wished she could talk to someone who may know what was happening. But it wasn't like she could go to the police. She hardly thought they'd believe her. It wasn't natural. And there was only one person that came to mind when walking home.

        Jack Frost.