Chapter 8

When the Guardians appeared at the Warren none were expecting to find a child there. And Jack instantly recognized her, "Sophie?"

        "What is she doing here?" the Pooka exclaimed.

        "Ah, globe," North stated guiltily, feeling around his coat to find the missing item that allowed them to transport between locations. Obviously when they were in Jamie's room she had come in while they were unconscious and gotten ahold of it. She couldn't stay there, but neither of them could exactly drop her back at home with the Easter deadline approaching. With nothing else left to do except allow the child to stay the Guardians' attempted to play with her, the child obviously being attracted to Tooth for being a fairy. However a moment later the child ran away screaming when the Guardian brought forth a handful of teeth. The interaction made Jack laugh, following after Sophie, who became interested in the walking eggs once more.

        "When was the last time you guys hung out with a kid?" he questioned.

        "We don't have time to play with children," North stated. Not with their busy schedules bringing joy to children.

        "If one little kid can ruin Easter than we're in worse shape than I thought." And with the wave of his hand a snowflake landed on each of their noses instantly making them react. They became more relaxed and begun grinning like children themselves rushing off into the Warren to help the Easter Bunny. Their heads turned at the sight at a hoard of Easter eggs descending a hill.

        "That's a lot of eggs!" North exclaimed.

        "How much time do we have?" Jack asked a bit uneasy. But the number didn't appear to worry the rabbit, who only seemed to grow more excited at the prospects of being able to paint every one of them. No hands were empty as the Guardians' set to work, along with a few yeti and elves North brought. Though the yetis were more help to them as his other helpers goofed around, even managing to get themselves dyed in the process.

        They work for hours with Sophie's help, a smile never leaving the child's face from her fun. And as morning approached the girl let loose a yawn when Bunnymund led her towards the tunnels they were to lead the eggs to the surface before curling into his arms and passing out.

        "Not bad," Jack muttered, nodding towards the child.

        "Not bad yourself," the Pooka added with a smile of his own.

        The two shared a moment of comfortable silence for once not bickering with each other. It was nice. "Look, I'm sorry... about the whole kangaroo thing."

        "It's the accent, isn't it?" And they shared a laugh as North and Tooth joined them.

        "Aw, I love her," the fairy stated, staring at the little girl fondly in the Pooka's arms. "I think it's time to take her home."

        "How about I take her home?" Jack offered.

        "Jack, no! Pitch is out there-!"

        "No match for this," the young man stated, holding up his staff.

        "Which is why we need you here with us," Bunnymund pressed.

        "Trust me. I'll be a quick as a bunny." And reluctantly they allowed the frost spirit to leave.

        As he had promised Jack arrived at the Bennett household in no time quietly entering the child's bedroom. Though he had a bit of trouble getting Sophie to let go of his neck and in his attempt to get free she tumbled onto the floor causing the young man and Baby Tooth to wince. Luckily, the child remained asleep.