Chapter 18

He searched for days. Weeks. Months. And as it grew closer to a year Jack was growing worried. There was still no sight of her and the young man wondered if they had been wrong all along. "She will come, Jack," North pressed. "You must be patient."

        "But all of us protected or gave in some way when we died," the spirit pointed out. "She didn't. Ally was sick and died."

        The man's head shook, looking up from his work. "A person's spirit is not based on one instance alone before they cross over. Everything is considered as a whole before a decision is made. It's obviously Man in Moon has plan."

        "Well, whatever plan that is I'd love to hear it," he muttered.

        Even Jamie was starting to loose hope and the only way Jack could keep him going was the lie every now and then saying he found a lead. And this year the town had a cooler summer due to his search. The lake, her home along with the ones she more frequently visited, her job, and any of their meeting places the spirit looked. To always come up empty handed was disheartening. As it began settling into winter Jack sighed. He'd spent half the night sitting at the lake in thought wondering if there was something they had missed. Even the other Guardians had been on the look out in their domains. Standing, the young man took off into town in a daze. There wasn't a specific destination in mind he only wandered aimlessly for hours till Jack realized he had ended up at the cemetery. Blinking to focus he was close to one in particular and as he went to look in its direction. It became clear right away the spirit wasn't alone.

        It was sitting on the headstone, back to him as its silhouette stood out in the moonlight. They were staring up at the full face in a laid back manner and it was only when Jack circled the grave was he able to witness the dreamy expression on the person's face looking as young as the day they first met. And the breath got caught in his throat.

        "You're late." The head turned and the young man was stunned staring into the familiar bright blue eyes. They were so full of life it took whatever air he had left away. Oh how he had missed them. "You've kept me waiting."

        A laugh escaped his lips, head shaking. Her humor was back. "Sorry about that. It wasn't my intention. But you've kept me waiting too."

        A kind smile spread across Ally's lips. "Sorry about that."