Smokin' Ain't Allowed In School

"I haven't been this skinny in years," I muttered as I checked myself out in my bedroom mirror.

I milked it for as long as I could, but it was inevitable that I had to return to school despite the fact that it had been almost six years since I actually attended the place. My mom, however, did not know that, and thus, I was subjected to the torture that is: high school.

It was the middle of the first semester, and I knew such a dramatic image change would shake the very foundation. But it was necessary for my mental health to complete this do-over. I couldn't relive these next few years as a sullen teenager with a lot of angst and a terrible wardrobe.

Mom even drove me to class, which was a nice way to continue bonding. It was only when we pulled up to the circle drive did I remember how incredibly embarrassing it is to have your mom drop you off at school. So many pairs of eyes on me, most of them judgmental. Now, this very well could have something to do with the hair also. I wasn't exactly inconspicuous. But I leaned across the console and kissed mom's cheek before I climbed out, flashing her a large, but nervous smile.

"Wish me luck." I chirped, trying not to feel bad at how surprised she looked from my gesture of affection. I waved and closed the door, turning to face the building now in front of me.

It looked.... Smaller than I remembered. Now that I had gone out in the world and experienced adulthood, school seemed sad in comparison. But far less expensive.

Ignoring the eyes and whispers, I walked through the crowd. I could barely recognize some of these kids. I mean, six years isn't an incredible amount of time, but let's be honest.

I looked around at the different people. She ended up going to prison for copious amounts of cocaine. And she ended up getting a ton of plastic surgery and did some modeling. He got into a car accident and lost his legs. He was killed in active duty for the army.

All of these people grew up and changed, but none of them knew their future. I came back here to save Kace, but I wondered idly if I could save everyone.

As I thought this, I heard a voice that I recognized from some deep part of me. "Holy shit. Talia? Is that you?" I felt dread deep in my body. The very people I cut off years down the road that I used to hang out with in school.

The one who called out to me was Joe. He was held back a year, so he was a bit older than the me I was right now. He was the type that wore the Cookie Monster snapback, saggy jeans with the black and white checkered belt and smoked behind the school when the teachers weren't paying attention. Could you believe that, at some point, I had a huge crush on him?

Looking back, I realized he had to have known. I was super obvious about it. Taking his things home with me, flirting with him at school. He was painfully aware of my crush and used it against me. He was the main culprit of the group of people that I cut off.

But he was no Kace, and any teenage feelings I had for him were long since dead.

"Hey, Joe." I mumbled, feeling awkward as the group circled me, looking at my new style.

"The hair I dig, but the clothes are lame." Jewel muttered, reaching out to finger the material of my shirt. As if it disgust her, she sneered and wiped her fingers on her pants

I went pretty simple with my clothes today. I hadn't been able to fit in junior clothes in my twenties, so now that I had my younger body and a fresh start, I took advantage of the styles it offered. I may be mentally twenty three, but I still loved cute clothes.

Instead of the all black, edgy combo, I stuck with more color. My top was a cream cotton with a floral design. Peplum, my favorite style of shirts or dresses, and three quarter sleeve. I had to re-read the school's dress code and didn't think I could get away with a skirt here, so I opted for a pair of jeans. The junior section was a whole lot of skinny jeans and not much else, so I made do. I did, however, spruce it up with a pair of cute pumps. There were no rules about heels in the dress code, so I toed the line.