I lost a friend...

6:00 pm, New Year's Eve

"Attention passengers. Due to the strong fall of storm, our flight has been cancelled until tomorrow. In the mean time, please evacuate the plane for a brief maintenance check. Once again, we are sorry for the inconvenience and Happy New Year"

As soon as the pilot was done speaking, everyone started to gather their personal things and exit the plane. I purposely waited for everyone to finish then I gathered my things and went with the crowd. How unlucky I am at the end of the year, not that this year had been the best either. I checked my phone and saw several messages from my parents. They're telling me when will I get home. I guess I have to break the news that I will be spending my New Year without them. This has got to be my most lonely New Year's Eve. I wanted to get away from America to get over the pain and this is what happens to me. I took a seat next to two little girls. I texted my parents about my unfortunate event in the airport, but my concentration was ruined by three little words.

".....best friends forever" I suddenly remembered someone. I told myself he wouldn't cross my mind during my trip. It made me remember the accident six months ago. Who knew that a single accident would take away my best friend. I can feel tears fall from my eyes. To avoid attention, I covered my face and tried to stop my tears.

"Are you all right, Miss?" Someone called to me. I raised my head and saw someone I didn't know. I nodded my head then wiped my tears so that he wouldn't see.

"I'm all right. Just disappointed that I will be spending New Year by myself" I gave an assuring laugh. He suddenly sat next to me then started to observe my face.

"Something tell's me that there's something more behind those tears" he told me. He was a perceptive and meddlesome stranger.

"You're a very perceptive fellow, are you" he gave an amused laugh, which made my heart feel a light. "Actually, six months ago, I lost a friend" silence fell upon us. He didn't expect I would say that.

"I'm sorry to hear that. She must be an important person"

"He is. We have been friends since we were kids. Losing him was the last thing I expected. But we were involved in an accident six months ago. I couldn't do anything about it." My original plan was to go back to London so I can get over losing him. I guess fate has other plans.

"Well, why don't you spend New Years with me" I looked at him with shocked eyes. I never expected an invitation from him. "Since we're in the same boat, why don't we share our troubles. Perhaps we can share it over dinner?" He held out his hand to me, waiting my response.

I was surprised by his sudden invitation. Should I accept it? I don't know this person. Not even his name. Don't go with strangers is what my mother used say. But, I don't want to be lonely this end of the year. I took his offer and he pulled me out of the airport.

7:00 pm

We took me to a hotel that was nearby the airport. He said that is was the best from miles away, and he wasn't lying. The food they served was second to none.

"You said earlier ago that we were on the same boat. Did you lose a lover or something?" I asked him. He took a sip of his wine then looked at me.

"You right on the mark" he said sadly. "I loved her but she decided to leave. Apparently, love doesn't rely on wealth"

"Of course it doesn't! You should know that money can't buy love" I suddenly exploded in front of him. How embarrassing! But he just laughed at me.

"You are quite an interesting woman" I can feel my cheeks turning red. I avoided his eyes and took a sip of my wine. "Tell me about your friend. Was was he like?"

"He was like a brother to me. A big brother to be exact. I was often bullied but he became my knight and shining armor" that's right. He was always there for me, and I was always there for him. I saw him listening to my troubles and he never seemed uninterested. "Wow, saying that out loud made me feel a lot lighter" I said. He smiled at me then raised his glass. "Say goodbye to last year's troubles, and say hello to the new life" we toasted our glass then drank our wine

11:00 pm

We chatted for hours and we barely noticed the time until the restaurant told us it was closing time. He told me he booked a two bedroom suite. He must be rich if he could afford a room like this. He offered me his favorite champagne in celebration of New Year.

"Good thing the hotel has this kind of champange" he said. As he walked near me, the champagne bottle suddenly spilled at me.

"I'm so sorry! I'll get you a towel" drenched in champagne, another unfortunate event, a scene so familiar. He handed me a towel. As I was about to grabbed it, he dropped the towel and grabbed my hand. I felt a little spark. What is making me feel this way? Is it the scent of the champagne? Before I knew it, his lips were on mine. We were kissing hungrily. He somehow led me to the bedroom and placed me on the bed without parting our lips.

'Griffin!'

Suddenly, the memories of that time came flooding back.

"Stop Griffin!" I pushed Griffin away but he was too strong. Instead, he stopped kissing me and he stayed over me. His hands on both my sides, imprisoning me. I covered my face with my hands because I can't face him right now.

"Eva...." the way he says my name is different from before. I suddenly started to cry like a child who was abandoned.

"Why? Why did you did it, Griffin? Why did you embraced me that night?" It wasn't all his fault. I was part of it too. I want him to embrace me but a part of me was telling him to stop, that night. "If you hadn't embraced me that night, I wouldn't have loss you. I wouldn't have to pretend not too know you. Why? I don't want to be a 'friends-with-benefit' type" that's right. Griffin has always been a playboy. A new woman by his side every time I see him.

"Eva. I didn't embraced you that night because of a sexual desire" he said then paused. I removed my hands and stared at him. "I made love to you that night because I wanted to embrace the woman I love" he kissed me gentler this time, assuring me while in his arms "Eva, I love you"

I remember. The reason why I was so upset that night because he didn't say these three words to me. I wanted to hear it because I love him as well. That's why I told him to pretend not to know each other. I didn't talk to him for six months but I can't forget him. When we met at the airport, we pretended not too know each other but my desire for him made me go with him.

He stopped kissing and stared at me. "Eva, if you want me to stop, I will and never touch you again. Say what you want before I lose control" he pleaded. I already have an answer.

"I-"

12:00 midnight

Fireworks suddenly emerged in the sky. It was officially 2018, A New Year has began for the both of us. He turned his head to the window but I was still staring at him. I held out my left hand and placed it on his left cheek. It made him turn my way. His eyes reflected the fireworks, and it was beautiful. I told him the words that will make my friend go away forever.

"I love you too"

Goodbye, friend

******

"I'm so tired!" I whined. The project I have been working for months has finally come to an end. I went too Griffin's place tell him the good news. So here I am, waiting for him to return with his most prized champagne.

"Congratulations on your project Eva" he told me. As walked toward me with his champagne bottle, the bottle suddenly exploded and it spilled all over me. "I'm so sorry, Eva-" instead of being angry with him, I just laughed.

"I'm okay but is there any left for me to put in my mouth" I said jokingly while I fix my wet hair. But he stayed silent and continued to stare at me. As he came closer, the smile from my face slowly faded. Before I knew it, his lips were on mine. We did something friend don't do. Tonight, I lost a friend.