10. The Sound of Ice by MAndALaptop

*Completed*

Summary

Cameron Beckett, at only seventeen years old, is an incredibly gifted hockey player. The pressure on him increases when he begins to struggle with his sexuality.

***

Thoughts

You guys. I loved this book! It's a very quick read because the chapters are pretty short and mostly dialogue. It's still 43 chapters though! I think what really pulled me into this book was the writing style. It's very different from anything I've read so far. The author is repetitive about certain events and situations throughout the book which I have taken to be symbolic for the main character, Cameron's, need for stability. By saying this, the writing may not be for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The relationship in this book is nothing less than sweet (like honey). You'll get the reference if you read the book. This book focused on self-discovery and struggles with sexuality which I haven't read in a long time so it was nice and refreshing.

Cameron's struggles were dealt with beautifully. I want to give an example of a scene in the book that is written perfectly.

"Sam comes over and we study. His lips are so pink and his eyes are so blue and his freckles are so faint and his eyelashes are so long and the skin around his eye is still a faded shade of purple. I want to kiss him. But when he reaches out and touches my shoulder, I flinch. And then I don't want to kiss him." - Chapter 29

This just exemplifies what Cameron is experiencing. You live for seventeen years thinking you are supposed to be attracted the opposite gender but end up wanting to be with your own. You're not gonna accept yourself for a while.

***

Fancast

Cameron: Aaron Taylor Johnson

Sam: Tom Holland

OR Timothee Chalamet