Ch. 12 ~ Unicorn-Baseball

Chapter 12

   “Charlie, I’m so glad you’re OK!” Leila squealed, pulling the little girl in a hug as Quentin trotted along a random path.

   Charlie noticed that Leila, now free and in colorful clothes, looked much happier and excited than in school. Charlie liked this Leila. “I’m glad, too,” said Charlie. “Quentin, where are we going?”

   “We are going to a unicorn-baseball match, just like I promised before those squiggles interrupted me,” answered Quentin Simmercake the unicorn. “In my time with Leila, I’ve come to the conclusion she is worthy of seeing the game with us as well.”

   “Ooh – exciting!” exclaimed Charlie B. Dinkle.

   The path, Charlie realized, was not random at all. It was a cobblestone road, and the land around them became neater, more sophisticated, with tiny birch trees and trimmed green grass. There was even a cute marble fountain. Coal-black lantern lights lined the sides of the path to give light since the sun had now set.

   “Is this where you live?” asked Charlie.

   “Naturally,” said Quentin. “Ah, and there are my fellow companions.”

   Surely enough, Leila and Charlie began to spot all sorts of unicorns grazing there, and talking here, others reading books and typing on their tabloids. Some painting, and couples strolling. Charlie soon realized they were in a classy unicorn park. A group of unicorns trotted towards Quentin Simmercake and the girls.

   “Quentin!” cried the first unicorn. She had shiny nail polish on her hooves, long eye-lashes, and sparkles in her long, wavy, pink mane.

   “Azalea, darling!” greeted Quentin. Unlike the squiggles’ goofy way of bonking each other’s head, the two unicorns delicately nuzzled one another with their noses. Quentin also greeted the other unicorns behind Azalea. “My associates, these two girls are Charlie B. Dinkle and Leila. They are here to attend the baseball match.”

   “Why, we are charmed!” said Azalea. “C’mon then, it’s going to start soon. Don’t worry, Quentin, I have the tickets. Let’s go!”

   Charlie B. Dinkle and Leila had to get off of Quentin’s back so that he may comfortably chat with his friends while they walked to wherever the stadium was. The two girls tagged behind the unicorns.

   “What do you think The Educator is doing now?” wondered Leila.

   “I don’t know,” said Charlie after some thought. “I just hope she doesn’t bother us anymore. I dislike her.”

   Leila nodded her head. “Me, too.”

   “Yeah, I – EEK!” Charlie squeaked when someone kicked her into the air. She landed on a unicorn’s back. Leila laughed when the same thing happened to herself.

   Charlie’s ride was a lanky, grey-spotted unicorn with a sweater knotted around his neck.

   “Herington.” The unicorn quickly introduced itself. “One of Quentin’s friends, pleased to meet you. Charlie, right? Right, I’ve heard the squiggles say we aren’t exciting enough for them. Let’s prove them wrong, shall we?” Herington flashed a charming grin that made Charlie return a similar one.

   “Aye!” agreed the unicorn that Leila was riding. With that, all the unicorns galloped away, faster than any horse Charlie had ever seen or rid. Within moments, they all arrived at the door of an enormous stadium.

   “Tickets!” said the unicorn guard at the front of the doors of the stadium. Azalea handed them over. “Enter!”

   Charlie B. Dinkle almost jumped at the sight of all the unicorns swarmed inside the food court, getting their foods before the game started. Her own group of unicorns nudged her towards an open door.

   “You and Leila better go inside before the game starts. We’ll get the food,” said Quentin.

   “Charlie! Hold my hand,” said Leila, who was terrified at the sight of so many unicorns. She wasn’t used to being with so many people.

   “It’s OK,” reassured Charlie. She took Leila’s hand and squeezed it. Leila looked calmer. “Great, let’s save some seats.”

   Leila and Charlie tactfully ducked through all the throngs of unicorns, finding their way outside to where everyone was getting seated.

   “Well,” breathed Charlie B. Dinkle. “A stadium for unicorns.”