2

I shoved my phone back into my pocket, deciding that I needed to talk to Gwen before I did anything. I saw Peter in the hallway and stopped him.

"Hey Petey. Have you seen Gwen lately?"

"I was just walking with her, but she said that she had to go to the bathroom." I followed his fingers as he pointed to the western wing bathroom. "Why do you need her?"

I tried to think of a quick lie, but my mind seemed to go blank. "She left her jacket in the car, and I want to get it to her." 

"She wasn't wearing a jacket this morning." 

"Must have been from a different day," I said, though I couldn't hear my words over the rush of blood to my head. "See you around, cuz." 

Peter stared at me with those wide eyes. If he wanted to question my terrible lie, he didn't voice them further. I pushed through the crowd of students and walked into the bathroom. Gwen's icy eyes darted around the bathroom until they landed on me.

She walked toward me with a fury I had never seen before and pulled me into one of the rusted stalls. "Did you get one of these?" she hissed. I nodded. "How are we going to fix this?" 

Tears threatened to roll down her pink cheeks as concern covered her features like a mask. As she reached up to my face, I pressed my lips into hers. Her kiss was soft and tender, clearly full of love and emotion. Mine was messy and full of passion as I tried to erase her pain. As I felt my face dampening in her sadness, I pulled away.

"Look at me," I told her as I pulled her hand against my chest. "We are in this together. No one can hurt us unless we let them. I will protect you."

She squeezed my hands as a thank you and grabbed some toilet paper to wipe away the meandering streams of mascara. I used my long legs to my advantage and peered over the top of stall. 

"We are all clear." 

We both stepped out together, my hand still cupping hers. I could smell her sweet scent, drawing me in. In that moment, I wanted to trace the shape of her bottom with kisses. I wanted to bite her lower lip, as we moved together in lust. I wanted to press my chest against hers, allowing our bodies to become one. I wanted to run my hands through her silky blonde and comfort her in the best way I knew how to. I wanted to do everything in my power to protect her, to make her feel okay. I wanted to brush the tears from her face and replace them with butterfly kisses. I wanted to make her know that she was safe. I would keep her safe.

But I didn't. Instead, I dropped her hand as soon as I heard the squeak of the door and quickly reached for the sink to wash her scent away from my hands. God, I hated myself for that. A small girl with long curly hair came into the bathroom and smiled at me and Gwen, who had taken a sink on the other side of the bathroom.

"You make a cute couple," the girl said, smirking in the mirror. She flicked the water off of her hands and walked out of the bathroom wordlessly.

Gwen went to lunge at the girl, but I held her back. "You can't just attack her," I chastised, though I wanted to see that fight go down. I picked her headband off the ground and pushed it in her hair, fixing her bangs lovingly. "We will figure this out, the right way."

She melted into my arms and I resisted every urge to kiss her. She looked at me with clear pain in her eyes as she left the bathroom. I stared into the bathroom mirror, trying to calm my heart rate. My pupils had dilated to the point that I couldn't tell where they faded into warm auburn. There was something so intoxicating about her and by this point, I was an addict.

After three long classes, I finally made my way into the lunch room. I quickly spotted Peter and his dorky friend Ned sitting at a large lunch table alone, staring at the girl from the bathroom with loving eyes. I sat down, slamming my lunch bag on the table which broke them from their trance.

"What's up Petey?" I said and fluffed his hair lovingly.

"Eli, I told you not to call me that at school!" his voice chirped. 

I smirked and ruffled his hair as I pulled out my sandwich. I nodded at Ned, who seemed to be Peter's only real friend. As much as it pained me to know my cousin was so isolated, he made a damn good choice. Ned was a good kid with genuine excitement in him. I appreciated that. 

A group of boys waltzed up to the table, high-fiving random kids in the lunchroom as they moved. I recognized their prepubescent leader immediately as Eugene Thompson. Everyone called him Flash, but he didn't deserve a nickname like that. With a name like Eugene, you have to earn the respect you get. He would never be able to do that.

"Hey look," he called out to the cafeteria. "We've got Puny Parker and a fatass."

"Watch who you're calling Puny, Eugene," I warned. "One wrong move and I might step on you." 

He swallowed hard, but otherwise ignored me. Instead, he reached out for Ned's food and stomped on it. "You don't need that. Look at all the rolls you've already got." 

Flash reached out to Ned, like he was going to grab his stomach. Before he could, I stood in between the two boys. I grabbed his hand out of the air and twisted it unnaturally behind his back. As he gasped in pain, I shoved him on the ground and rammed my heel into his nose.

"Told you I would step on you."

"Bitch," he said as scrambled off the ground to walk away. 

Peter raised his eyebrows so high I thought they might leave his face. "May's going to kill you." 

A PE teacher called Coach Wilson came up to me to take me and Flash to the principal's office, muttering profanities about teens. Before I left, I tossed my sandwich to Ned and winked. 

A/N: thank you all for your amazing love and support! I used to have an account a long time ago, but I deleted it after I received a ton of hate comments for posting fluffy gay pieces, so to see any kind of support from y'all is absolutely incredible. I hope you're enjoying my little story <3

edited march 15, 2019