20

Eli's POV

*

I woke up, in pain, unable to move. I could feel every pulsation in my body, every ounce of blood flowing through my veins, every breath painful in my chest, forcing a deep burning sensation.

I was lying on my chest, but I couldn't roll over to see my location. I could barely even get enough control to blink my eyes. I needed to use every bit of force in my body to go through the basic notion of opening and closing my deeply freckled lids.

Voices. I could hear a voice, but it sounded like it was miles away. Where was I?

I immediately knew who took me. If the Green Goblin knew who Peter was, he would definitely try and use me as leverage against him. I just hope that Peter is remaining as level headed as possible.

A gruff hand rolled me over, exposing my eyes to extremely bright sunlight. Everything was being viewed through a haze, my eyes yet to adjust to the harsh outdoor lighting. I was correct in my suspicion of my capture. The mechanical man stood over me in a mock superhero stance, his arms placed on his hips with legs wide apart. Words were clearly flowing from his lips, but the sound of my own thoughts dominated anything he was saying. My mind was far from my body, nowhere near the words he was saying. But his laugh brought me back, that horrendous sound that mixed all the worst parts of nails on a chalkboard, styrofoam rubbing against itself, and people saying 'libary' when they meant library.

"You're awake!" he practically screamed. I could tell from the spittle that was flying from his mouth, but it still sounded barely above a whisper. "I can't say the same for your girlfriend here, she's still down for the count."

I wanted to snarl at him, to say anything, to stop him, to punch him in the face, but I couldn't move my lips. He grabbed the back of my neck and lifted me up slightly, showing me that Gwen was slumped in a heap, in a similar condition to me.

"Why are you doing this?" is what I tried to say, but all that came out was, "wuy eru yoou dooon thooss," with a little bit of drool.

"Your cousin should be here soon," he said, throwing my head back onto the ground aggressively. I could feel the sensation of a concussion as my head bounced against the ground like a basketball. "Better get ready." 

I felt him rustling around, making whatever maniacal arrangements he needed for his plot. Peter would stop him. He would save the day, like he always did. He needed to. If anything happened to Gwen because of me, because of Spiderman, I would never forgive myself. And maybe him too.

I could hear Gwen moaning in the back of my head. When she was in pain, I was too. I needed to reach her, to find her and assure her that everything would be okay.

The Goblin picked me up and placed me methodically on the rooftop of the building we were on. My legs were dangerously close to the edge. In one swift movement, I could be over the edge, falling to my death. We must have been at least thirty stores up. The fall would kill me long before the actual ground would.

It wouldn't come to that. Neither Gwen nor I would die today. Spider-Man would make sure of it.

Like clockwork, Peter arrived on the rooftop. Movement was slowly returning to my body, not quick enough though. At most, I could make sensible words.

"Right on time!" the Goblin yelled, laughing through every word. "Welcome to your hell."

Peter didn't answer, or if he did, I couldn't hear him. He clearly went to seize at the Green Goblin because the monster said, "Nah ah ah, you wouldn't want anything to happen to these girls, would you Peter?"

Gwen was moaning so much. She was having some kind of reaction. I could rotate myself just a little, the smallest amount just to see her face. Her eyes were so wide, they were nearly popping out of her head. Her mouth was open slightly, like she was on the verge of a seizure. She was dying, right in front of my eyes. Unless she could get medical attention soon, Gwen was going to die. Why wasn't I having the same reaction?

Then it hit me. He was going to kill Gwen in front of me, make Peter the villain so I could never look at him the same. He was going to kill Gwen and keep me alive so that way I could torture Peter with my apathy towards him.

"Chose Peter," Green Goblin said. "You can only save one. You have ten seconds."

"Peter," I moaned, trying to make my words as clear and loud as possible despite the ungodly pain I was in."You need to save Gwen. Save Gwen, save Gwen, save Gwen. If you pick me over her, I will never forgive you. Ever. Save Gwen." Tears were flowing down my face more freely than the water in the Hudson. Streams of old mascara rolled down my face, probably making me look like a prom queen runner up.

"Eli-" he started to say, pain leaking into his still dropping voice.

"Time's up!" the man cursed into the air. "Choose."

Peter waited too long. He could do anything, he just stood there, completely frozen. I knew what was about to happen. Only one person was going to make it off this rooftop alive. And it wasn't going to be me.

"Petey," I whispered to him, though I'm not sure he could make out what I was saying. He ran over to me, but the Goblin was faster.

Too quickly, I felt my body being hurled off the side of the building. I still couldn't move any part of my body. I couldn't even move my lips enough to scream for help. This was my final goodbye.

A/N: Hey guys! One chapter left :( I loved making this story so so much! I hope you've  enjoyed reading it. Thank you all for your support, it means so much to me.