Chapter 3 The hunter exam: second phase

We reached the second phase of the exam. We had to cook. Well, I was the best at cooking in my family, so I felt very confident. Menchi, the second examiner, had approved my plate and I headed back and stayed next to Hisoka. After a few minutes, Menchi said all except for me failed, as their cooking didn't please her. Hisoka took a card out and he was about kill her. "Please don't." I said, placing my hand over his. He surprisingly calmed down. Suddenly, an old man fell from a plane. He was the Hunter Association's chairman, Isaac Netero. He knew my family and of course he knew me. 

" Netero-san! It's been a while!" I said and he walked to me. 

"Ohh, Kaya! It's good to see you're fine." He took us on an airship to remake the second phase. We got easily through this phase and embarked to the third.

During the flight, I shared a room with Hisoka. "You're very interesting. I want to know more about you."he said, sitting on the bed next to me. He moved closer to me and rested his hand on my head, then nicely to my cheek, making me blush. I told him about my family, but then I felt the hurting memory from that day. I was breathing heavily and on my face there was a desperate expression. "What's wrong?" I heard him say before everything turned dark.

<Hisoka p.o.v.>

I saw her starting to scream and to hurt herself. "Kaya! Kaya!" I screamed trying to wake her from whatever she is living right now. She was screaming and bruising herself. I grabbed her shoulders and pulled her to my chest, keeping her in my arms. She eventualy calmed down. She was crying and I didn't know what to do. I felt strange. I've never done things like this. I just don't like it. But this girl....I just couldn't leave her. Curious, isn't it?

<Kaya p.o.v.>

I was sitting in Hisoka's lap, crying and keeping tight on his shirt. I leaned my head against his toned chest, hiding my face from view. 

"Are we calm now, Kaya?"

I nodded and he carried me to the bed. "Take a good sleep. I'll be in the hallway if you need something". He was about to get up from the bed when I grabbed his hand. 

"Please...Don't leave me..." I said with my watery eyes. Hisoka sighed and sat down on the bed, pulling me closer to him. 

"I won't. You can sleep now. I'll watch over you." I felt relaxed at his words and eventualy I fell asleep.

I woke up about four hours later when I heard someone knocking at the door. 

"What is it?" Hisoka asked with a husky voice from sleep. 

"Someone's at the door". I stood up and answerd it. 

"Kaya-neechan, do you want to come play a game with me and Netero-san?" Gon asked. 

"Now? It's 4 pm...Uhmm...Hisoka, do you mind if I go?" 

"Fine, but you should come back soon, otherwise you'll be tired." I nodded and followed Gon to the place where Netero was. All we had to do was take the ball from him. Challenge accepted. I used Nen to launch myself at Netero, but he easily dodged me. I knew he was strong, so I didn't try too hard. After an hour of playing, I decided to go back to my room. I said goodbye to Gon and Netero and left the room with a sad expression.

Hisoka was awake, waiting for me. He figured I was sad and allowed me to wrap my arms around him and press my forehead against his chest. Surprisingly, he hugged me back. 

"What happened?" he asked with an irritated tone. 

"Nothing...It's just...Gon reminds me of my little brother..."He gently put me on the bed and I fell asleep again, in Hisoka's arms.

<Spectator p.o.v.>

Menchi and Satotz were discussing about the applicants. "Menchi, what do you think about this year's applicants?" he asked. 

"They are pretty impressive, in comparison to last year's." 

 "Who's your favorite?" 

"Well, I like number 8 and 405...and, although he freaks me out, 44. Him and number 8 seem to be a pair, based on how they interact with each other." 

 "Do you really think so?" 

 "Yeah. 44's temper was the reason I was edgy, 'cause he was always on the verge of killing someone, hardly restraining himself. But he got all calm when no. 8 spoke to him." 

"I see...This is going to be the most interesting exam"