Eight: -A- Report #1

For @roxieturner, because she asked me not to leave her hanging.  :)

---

She came in through the door when no one was at the front of the diner, the dining room was empty and Silas was in the back talking to North. It was almost midnight, and it had been slow most of the night, but this was almost desolate.

"What did Luke say to tell that chick if she shows up?" Silas checked the clock. It was about the time Luke said she'd show, if she was going to.

"He said to give her his cell number and not to talk to her otherwise, and specifically not to flirt with her or ask her out. He was very clear." North chuckled. Like that would stop Si.

"Maybe he was directing that at you, not me. I should really talk to her, make sure she's...suitable for our Luke. You? You'd just growl at her and scare her." Si leaned back against the wall, holding up a hand before North could reply. He thought he'd heard the bell on the door but wasn't sure.

"I don't growl at pretty girls. What? Did you hear something?"

"I think that was the door. Hold on, let me check." Si slammed through the swinging door and moments later North heard him shouting his name. He dropped the rolling pin and ran out into the dining room to find Si trying to guide a girl to sit in a chair. She had blood all over her head, all over her face, and she was staring a thousand yard stare at nothing, blinking, and it looked like one of her pupils might be fully dilated while the other wasn't.

"Fuck! What the fuck?! Where did she come from?" North dug a clean towel out from behind the counter and pressed it to her head. "There must have been an accident on the highway. I'm calling 911, we need to get an ambulance here." North was on the phone talking to dispatch.

"She said something. What did she say?" Si leaned forward, listening, then turned to him in horror. "Luke. She said Luke."

North was in her face, screaming "Where's Luke? What happened?" Si knew he wasn't thinking, and the girl flinched away, then looked around, confused.

"Luke? Where's Luke? Luke will fix me," she slurred, starting to cry.

"Do you think—? Oh God. Si, I think this is Luke's girl. We have to take her to the hospital, an ambulance takes too long. 25 minutes minimum just to get here, but we can drive her in 10."

Si scooped her up and carried her out the door, North locking it behind them. He opened the door and Si managed to crawl into the back seat, never releasing her, while North got behind the wheel. He plugged his phone in and started voice dialing as they shot across the gravel parking lot onto the paved road, heading for the highway and the closest hospital. Despite their differences, North hoped Sean would be there, he'd take care of Luke's girl.

His first call was Uncle, telling him that the diner was locked up, he and Si were on their way to the hospital with an injured girl, and he needed to get someone to fill in for them tonight and Luke tomorrow.

The second call was to the hospital, telling them that they were on their way with an injured girl, a head injury, and to page Dr. Sean Green if he was working tonight.

The third call was to Luke, and it was the hardest.

"What's up baby bro? Miss me? Slow night? You and Si bored? Or... did she show up? Is she there? Tell me she's there—"

"Luke, shut the fuck up and listen to me. A girl came in, covered in blood, saying your name. Blonde, tiny. Green eyes. That's her, right?"

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. Is she...is she alive? Oh god, tell me she's still alive."