8. Ache

~ The marks humans leave are too often scars. ~

~ John Green

............

A day later, Tom was finally discharged from the hospital. He came home, physically better but his mood was a constant low.

The first smile I saw flicker over his lips in days was when he saw his daughter.

Rose handed Ellie to him. Gently, with the most lightest of touch he took her in her arms and craddled her. A cheerful cry escaped the baby's lips causing his smile to grow. He pecked the baby on the cheek and closed his eyes. Enjoyed his baby's presence. A discreet tear escaped his eye but the small smile was still in place.

This made me believe that there was hope. I may never be able to get my friend back to the way he was but time would at least make him better. I looked at Rose, our eyes met and I knew she was thinking the same thing. We had to get Tom out of this depression, and we would, together.

"Was it wise to name her Ellie?" I whispered, asking Rose, "The name resembles a lot with...you know."

"Elise." Tom said, hearing me, "Yes, it was wise to name her similar to Elise. Eric, I don't ever want to forget or try to forget her. Though it hurts now, hurts to say her name, hurts to look at her - so much like her mother...but I want to remember Elise every time I look at Ellie. I know and hope that the sheer pain will soon dull into an ache but I will always have the sweet reminder of her mother every time I see her. I would never want to let go of that ache."

............

VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.