Part 6

Juleka nervously fixed her hair for the third time that day as she glanced at the clock. She groaned when she found it still wasn't time for Marinette—and unfortunately Alya and Lila, but it's a small detail—to come over to work on their project.

"What's up, sis?" Luka raised an eyebrow at his sister's erratic behavior. Juleka looked at him cautiously.

"Oh no reason. Nothing for you to be worried about." Juleka tried to deflect him. However, Mrs. Couffaine chose this time to ruin everything.

"Sweetie! Marinette, Lila, and Alya are here!" their mother called. Juleka's eyes widened in horror while Luka's eyes lit up. Oh no...

"Marinette's here?" Luka asked, his tone excited.

"She's here for a project—not for a social call." Juleka glared. Luka ignored her look and moved closer to the stairs to travel downstairs.

"Still, I would like to say hi." He said, but Juleka quickly blocked his way and pushed him towards his room.

"No! We're too busy! Go practice for the band!" Juleka ordered. Luka raised an eyebrow at his sister's behavior. He spun out of her hold, placing his hands at his hips.

"Okay, what's with you? Afraid I'm going to embarrass you or something?" Luka teased, grinning. "I just want to say hi to your friends."

'Especially Marinette.' He blushed at the thought of the pig-tailed girl. Juleka's eyes zeroed in on his flushed cheeks and knew exactly who he was thinking about. That increased her urgency to banish him away.

"Just let us do our work, okay? I really have to get a good grade on this project." Juleka lied. Luka's eyes narrowed.

"Okay, now I know you're lying. Your grades are fine. Mom put your report card on the fridge last week remember?"

'Shit!' Juleka cursed, sweating.

"And you never have issues with me saying hi to your friends before. I hang out with you and Rose all the time. The only thing that's different is that it's Marinette—" a light bulb went off in Luka's mind, causing him to smirk, eyes glinting mischievously. He crossed his arms, leaning closer to her face. "Oh, I get it now."

"I don't know what you're talking about, bro." Juleka refused to give him the satisfaction he figured her out. Nevertheless, Luka wasn't deterred. In fact, her defensiveness made him grin wider.

"You feel threatened." He responded.

"You're as threatening as a bunny rabbit." Juleka retorted.

"Last time I checked your crush thinks I'm as cute as one as well." Luka winked. Juleka blushed bright red in anger, clenching her fists.

"You're just smug cause Mom thinks you guys look cute together." She huffed, crossing her arms and averting her gaze. Luka chuckled, patting Juleka's head.

"I'm sure if you told Mom how you felt about Marinette she'd be happy either way. Lord knows she wants to adopt her." He encouraged his sister. Juleka's face glowed bright red at the thought of Marinette becoming a part of their family.

"Thanks." She murmured. Luka smiled fondly at her.

"Regardless, I don't intend to step aside. I really like Marinette too. Let the best Couffaine win." Luka told her, winking. Approaching footsteps signaled them it was the end of their conversation. Juleka blushed when she caught sight of Marinette wearing light purple overall shorts with black bats on them, a slim long-sleeved black shirt, a black choker with a bat charm, black combat boots and black thigh highs. When Marinette locked gazes with her, she did a little twirl.