C.A.J. Part 17

No one was thrilled. Judge Erland pinched the bridge of his nose and looked as though he was about to disrupt the proceedings by having a stroke. The jury was uneasy.

Thorne's first time at the stand certainly left an impression on the court.

Once Thorne took his seat, Cinder noted, "Please remember you are still under oath, Mr. Thorne."

"Of course," he grinned.

Oh boy, Cinder thought. This was going to be one bumpy ride.

"Did you steal the necklace?"

"Yes," Throne admitted freely. Thank the stars he didn't make some smart comment.

"Were you hired to steal it?"

"Yep."

"Do you know why?"

"No."

Suddenly, Cinder realized she'd never gotten around to asking Thorne before the court session if he knew that. Then, she remembered that her whole line of questioning revolved around why Levana wanted the necklace.

One she'd been planning to come up with on the fly and surprise everyone, including herself.

She struggled to think of anything she could used to get what she needed. She had to bring this case home. The evidence was enough to draw suspicion towards Levana.

But without motive, there was not conviction. No bomb going off, no jaw dropping revelation. Cinder needed the motive, or Levana could get off free like OJ Simpson.

A thought popped into her head and bolted out of her mouth before she could stop it. "Was there anything odd you noticed after you were hired to steal the necklace?"

Instantly, Cinder began to curse herself. Nothing would come of that. If anything, she'd just doomed the case.

As if taking it seriously, Thorne pondered the question. He even covered his mouth with is hand and tapped his cheek with one finger. He peeled his hand away to query, "Do you mean before the break in? Or does during the break in count?"

Cinder couldn't help but roll her eyes, and was sure half the court couldn't either. "Either."

"Well, the necklace," Thorne answered. For a second, Cinder thought Thorne was serious.

Then, she realized he was.

She pounced at the idea. "What about it?"

"It's crooked." He pointed at the bag it was in. "The center jewel, it's crooked. It's not in its casting properly. It's off center by a couple millimeters."

Both astonished, Kai and Cinder raced to the necklace. She had to squint to see it, but sure enough, Thorne was right. "He's right," Kai said.

Members of the jury leaned out of their seats to see it, and some nodded in agreement. Bailiff Kinney was ordered to bring the necklace up to Judge Erland so he could see for himself. Out of nowhere, the man pulled out a magnifying glass. He took a minute to examine the necklace.

"Why would that stand out, Mr. Thorne?" Cinder questioned, eager to know why that stood at to him.

He seemed confused. "Because Mrs. Clay's mother was a master jewelry maker." No one got it. Thorne appeared agitated that no one could follow his line of talk. "She was amazing at her job! She made jewelry that's sold at higher prices than jewels from centuries ago. A master like her wouldn't let something like a crooked jewel get passed her."

Erland was still eyeing down the necklace, entranced. "Bailiff, get a flathead screwdriver. There's something under this."

The entire court was on the edge of its seat. And as if a god was answering her prayers, Levana jumped out of her seat at the idea.