In The Beginning

Emily crossed her arms, scooting back her chair slightly in protest. "There are plenty of other people who would kill to tutor him. Why do I have to be the one to do it?" Emily sighed out, almost in a bored state. Mr. York pushed up his glasses, while pulling his chair closer to the small table.

"Those people aren't as smart as you and you know it. For heaven's sake, you're a straight A student, Emily! You're just being difficult right now because you don't like the guy." York stated loudly, waving his hands as to try and force the point across to Emily, as she stared directly at her hands and picked at her nails in a bored manner.

"What about Jerry? He's smart." Emily pointed out nonchalantly, while lifting her head. Emily would usually jump at the chance to tutor someone in hopes of raising her already exceeding grade point average, but that person in question was none other than Jake Collins. He was known only as the cliche 'play-boy' throughout all the high school and was fawned over by everyone. Well, almost everyone.

"Jerry has sports to deal with. He can't handle this right now," York said, rubbing his temples in frustration. "Can you just please tutor him for four or five weeks? That's all he should need and then you two can part your separate ways, and pretend like it never happened."

Emily thought for a moment before speaking, "What's in it for me? I don't want to have to deal with him." She uncrossed her arms and scooted her chair back up to the small table, "You better make this good, Mr. York." She said almost devilishly.

Mr. York looked around nervously, trying to wrack his brain for any type of reward that would please Emily. "What about extra credit points? Or possibly even be exempt from the final exam." He stated nervously.

Emily chuckled slightly, "I like the sound of that," She smiled before dropping her defensive posture. "What do I need to tutor him in?" She sat up straight, fixing her hair.

"Math." York replied in a sharp voice. Emily looked up in surprise and tilted her head slightly.

"That's too broad, what kind of math are we talking about? Calc or Stats?" Emily questioned with a puzzled expression. Jake Collins was in Emily's grade so he should at least be in Calculus or Stats. Mr. York fidgeted, and adjusted his tie.

York sighed. "Just math in general. He doesn't understand basic equations. He's doing great in all of his other classes, it's just math seems to be his kryptonite." York chuckled to himself at the joke, coughed, and then turned to look at Emily straight. "His dad is a good friend of mine, and I know that Jake is wanting to do college football, but he won't be able to if he can't pass Calculus." York stuttered, rubbing the back of his neck slightly. "And he's just having trouble grasping what's going on,"

Emily stared down at her hands, the weight of the situation finally processing.

"Okay, how often should I tutor him?" She was mature. She could get past her hatred towards a peer in hopes of helping them out.

"Every Tuesday and Thursday if you can. He's got a lot of work to catch up on and he has to make at least a B on the final." Mr. York sighed, pushing back his rolling chair. He lifted the glasses off of his face and set them down next to him on the table. "I'm counting on you, Emily to help him. He's not a bad kid, I promise."

Emily just shook her head and laughed slightly, "Have I ever let you down, Mr. York?"

York smiled, and shook his head in an amused manner, "No, I don't think you ever have."

-----------

"That's all that happened?" Mike said, spitting out food as he spoke, as the friend group gathered at the small round table in the back. "That's disgusting," Sami replied, "So, when are you guys studying?" She asked innocently. Emily shrugged back in response, "I'm not sure."