Chapter 14

Percy didn't expect the moon goddess to come in the form of a girl younger than himself. So, like an idiot, he was the last one to kneel when she entered the giant central tent. Luke could barely contain his laughter when she cast a rather menacing side-eye at the younger boy. The goddess slowly sauntered to wooden chair at the end of the tent before addressing them.

"Son of Hermes, Son of Poseidon, where is the third member of your party? I was told there would be three of you."

Percy's gaze fell to the floor, leaving Luke to speak for them. "Clarisse La'Rue, daughter of Ares was with us m'lady," he addressed Artemis, "sadly, we were attacked by servants of Arachne."

"I am sorry for your loss," she said with voice too powerful for her small appearance, "I have had the honor of assisting Clarisse on a quest before, she was a strong warrior. I hope that she was properly layed to rest."

Luke let out a pained sigh, "yes ma'am, she honored by your father himself." Surprise flashed briefly across her face before disappearing back into the cold facade.

"I want to know the reason you have called upon the help of my Hunters and I," she commands, "but first, Perseus Jackson, I would like for you to explain to me why my head Huntress is no longer with us," she says sharply. Luke looked over at the boy, now angry at Artemis.

She was a goddess, she knew what happened, and she probably knew that it wasn't his fault. She was just taking her anger out on Percy.

"I...I didn't mean.." the younger boy managed to stutter before being cut off.

"Well get on with it, son of Poseidon," she practically yelled, morphing into a full-grown woman, "under what pretense did one of the most valuable members of my hunt give her life?"

Tears began to pool in the boy's eyes, "the Furies, they wanted to take me to Hades, and she sacrificed herself to save me."

"And why are you worth that much, Perseus?"

The boy struggles, trying to figure out what to say.

"Perce, you don't have to answer this, she's just trying to get you to commit heresy."

"LET THE BOY SPEAK FOR HIMSELF!" She screams at the blond.

Percy slowly rises to his feet, "I don't know why she saved me. I knew Zoë for less than ten minutes, no one would have blamed her for not doing anything. I don't know what made me worthy of her sacrifice."

"I don't know what she saw in you either," the goddess says, her words dripping with venom, "all I see before me is a scared, confused little boy whose first quest has resulted in not one, but the death of two strong warriors. You're count is almost level with that of your friend. I'll tell you why Zoë Nightshade sacrificed herself for you -and you'll want to hear this as well son of Hermes, after all, it was for you.

After your first quest, where you killed the daughter of Zeus," she says, directing her scathing words to Luke, "she fell for you, but upon discovering your 'inability' to reciprocate those feelings, she returned to me, and begged for my forgiveness, and eventually she earned it. After all of this time, she still cared for you Mr. Castellan, she saw how you felt for this boy, and because of her love for you, she saved him to make you happy. You killed her, and I want you both out of my camp in 20 minutes, or I will order the Hunt to open fire on both of you," they begin to stand up, but the goddess speaks again, directly to the son of Poseidon. "And Perseus Jackson, one day you will know the pain that you have caused me, you will feel it with every fiber of your being, and you will know that it is because of me. Now get out of my sight."