A New Lead

The incoming thunderclouds loom above the area where Reid lives. He sighs as he quickens his pace. All he needs is to be drenched to end such a long day. He reaches his home just in time before the loud clash of thunder signal rolls through the sky. Reid hops up the front steps of his house. He sticks his gold house key into the door. With a jingle of keys and a creak of the door, the comforting scene of being home greets him.

Reid bends down to pick up his mail and be greeted by the brush of his cat's soft fur against his leg. He pushes the door closed with the heel of his foot. He stands up and his gaze meets the lanky figure of a young girl.

"Ellen," he says with surprise, "What, no why are you here?"

Ellen gnaws on her lower lip and starts to pout. Her eyes are fixed on her shoes.

He places his mail and keys on a small round table by the door. He says, "I will fix us a cup of hot chocolate if you will talk." He walks into the kitchen and scavenges around for two clean mugs and a couple packets of cocoa mix.

After he finishes, he shuffles into the living room. To his surprise, it appears the Ellen has striped her jacket off and is now in a tank. He sets the steaming cups down onto the coffe table. He makes sure to sit on the opposite end of the couch.

"Now, that we have something to drink," he says after a quick sip, "would you mind telling me what you are doing here?"

His coaxing attempt is not working on her.

"Please, you will not be in any trouble if you just tell me," Reid says calmly.

Ellen takes a deep breath. "Well," she begins, "You must know by now what has happened to my grandmother. I-" she stutteres.

"You can go on," He says.

"I found her... This morning feels like an eternity, God. I freaked out and ran away." She reaches down and grabs his hand. "I think that someone is after me."

"Who would be your enemy?!" He asks.

"My ex boyfriend, Chad, has made accusations related to things like this before," she says and a deep gulp follows.

"Have you informed the police about this?" He asks.

"If only I knew how to," she says exasperated by all this around her.

He rises and says, "Put your jacket back on. We are going to the authorities right now. I cannot let you be further harmed like this." He slips his loafers back on and rushes to the door.

"So, you care about me?" She asks. She smiles but Reid is not facing her to notice it.

Reid averts his eyes to her. He says, "I just want you to be safe."