Killing a sweet little girl

I just evaded a deadly blow from the enemy, as he tried to regain his strength for launching another blow, i thrust my sword right through his heart. Thus I killed the last armed man fought me. We almost won this war , it started as a suicide attack we did not have enough numbers to beat them  but we have succeeded.

I looked around the field as i drove my sword back to its sheath. The land is littered with the dead, the sky is engulfed with red clouds of their evil magic and the air is hot like a volcano's breath. I walked over the dead to find my brother. i was worried about him it was his first war like me. My mind knew he will survive but my heart wanted to see him when i looked around i found him slaying three men at once, " he enjoys it" i told myself somehow it made me sad. Though i got a talent to kill, i never enjoyed it, but he is different. Perhaps the only common thing we share is our looks.

As i walked past i saw a dead unarmed woman, they are evil, i consoled myself, but they were not armed my heart argued. This is the worst part of the war, killing an armed man just takes a swing of your sword but a begging women or an elderly person or a suckling babe, you would need to kill yourself to thrust your sword into those innocent souls. "It hurts only the first time " experienced veterans would say but i never had my first and i never intend to have one,

I walked past all the spoils of war until i could not hear the noise of slashing swords or a muffled noise it makes, when it pierces the flesh.  i unsheathed my sword and opened a barrel of water to clean it. when i slipped my hand into the water looking for a mug, when my hand bumped into something ,  it weeped and pulled itself into the water with a bubbling sound.

i pulled my hand back in a fraction of second and gripped my sword with both hands, with a single hard blow i slashed the barrel into half. the water was bursted out and spilled everywhere to reveal the hidden figure when it pulled its hair back i could see the face. it was a little girl with brown eyes and a fear of imminent death on her face. The cold water made her pale.

"Who are you, " i asked though i know exactly who she is. but i hoped she would be someone else, someone not belonged to this foul clan we are killing, most of all i hoped she would not be my first.The girl looked up but she did not answer then she lowered her head down like saying just get on with it.

I thought that would be the best option too, a clean strike would put her out of misery. she would die in a second but that would haunt me for ages.
I raised my sword but i could not do that
i will not kill a cute little girl i thought and lowered my sword.

I helped her up,
" are you going to kill me?" She said

" why are you hiding here , is anyone you know alive"
i did not answer her question cause i don't know the answer myself.

"There is everyone i know" she showed a litter of body not far from the barrel.

" why are you hiding here, its not safe for you here , if they found you.."

"Who are they why they hunt us? We did not do anything wrong ..." the girl wiped her tears " we .. just lived"

I did not have an answer for that,
"Enough of that, tell me what you were doing in the barrel, " i demanded

" my mother put me there she told to get to the red fountain once the war is over. i am sorry please let me live " she sobbed.

Red fountain he thought red fountain is the product of their magic it like a secret path to the head mountain, if they get there the world is doomed, they were plotting this all along while warring with us but it didn't work. we won the war before they could finish their magic.

"There would not be any red fou..." a thudding sound stopped me when i turned back the land was holed out and the mud turned red with bubbles each bubble made the mud clearer like water

"The red fountain" the girl spoke, pointing to the muddy hole.

This was her escape she knew it, all that stops her, is me and my sword.

Before i decide whether to save her or save myself my brother found us.

My brother was staring at us with his cold eyes. His gaze hinted that he sensed my thoughts.
" kill her " he told

The girl leaned close to me fearing him.
He waited for a moment seeing no response from me he spoke up
" Fine i will do it myself "
  he approached us with his blood thirsty sword. i didn't know what i was doing but i stood between him and the girl with sword in my hand. i looked at the red fountain, it looked more like water now if i want to save her, all that i needed to do was to throw her into the mud it would not take more than few seconds,
" don't even think about it " my brother yelled sensing my thoughts

" you know why we came here, you know what would happen if we fail" he said

"We didn't fail we won the damned war"

" that would be vain if the girl survived"

" she is just a little girl" i yelled

" i know she is a little girl to look, but we both know what she is, what she could do if she reached the fountain, the fate of our world lies in your hands" he answered in a composed tone that i never heard before.

" but she is not evil she just tries to survive like all of us"  i heard my voice break,

" yes , but her survival is fatal to us , for our world, think about our world. we only can save it. please don't betray us, just close your eyes and done with it"

I closed my eyes his words were tormenting me i know all he said was true i know the girl's survival would end our world,  but how can i kill this cute little girl she tightened her grip on my thighs as i opened my eyes.
i held her close to me and told " its all going to be okay"
When she tried to say something i drove my sword into her and ended her life in a stroke i did not dare to look her. i dropped my sword and walked i did not care to hear the consoling words from my brother. as i walk i saw the red fountain closed itself. the hot air turned to a pleasant breeze and cold drizzles from sky washed my stains yet it never touched the pain i consumed. I looked up the sky the red clouds are gone now the sky is so clean like nothing had happened and we saved our world once again.

Somewhere far far above the sky,

" it seems the antibiotics we injected have worked" he told looking at the thermometer
" your girl is out of danger, if the virus got to brain its so hard to save your girl but her white cells fought hard and wiped out the virus, she can go to school in a couple of days"  he smiled at the worried mother.

" did it kill all the virus... " said his four year old patient,
Her tired eyes disappointed when he said yes.
    " i pity them poor virus"      she muttered

Her mother tried to speak but he gestured her to hold and leaned closer to the little girl, caressing her forehead
he said
" yes they are poor creatures, they only tried to survive but they were trying to kill a cute little girl, that is something i cant allow"  he smiled.

P.S:- i have pictured the battle between white cells and virus as a war. please share your comments about my concept and ask any questions you have about the story. Thank you so much for taking your time to support me.