Ch. 8: Lethally Scared

For a bit, all I could see was black. I couldn't move or see talk. When I finally was able to come too, I groaned. My hand clenched and I felt something soft. I opened my eyes and blinked. I saw a black blanket in my hand. I was laying on partially on my stomach and side. I pushed myself up and the blanket fell to my waist.

"Thank goodness." I turned and saw Demon by the window. "I was worried."

"Where am I?" I looked around, saw I was in a bedroom. He came over and sat on the bed. I notice he had taken off some of his Demon wear, just in his pants, boots, and a black t-shirt.

"We're back in my apartment. My bedroom." He brushed hair out of my face and over my shoulder. "You've been out for nearly 6 hours." 

"What?" I felt something soft brush my arm. I jumped and then saw the fox.

"He wouldn't leave your side." Demon said. The fox laid down next to my leg.

"Did you get the Crimson Witch?" Demon shook his head. 

"Don't worry about that now. You've been through enough. The doctor said you fainted from shock. Don't worry yourself anymore." He ran his hand down my arm and grabbed my hand.

"But..."

"No. You don't need anymore stress on you. You almost got killed, Flare. Don't." He said quick. I took a big breath remembering the falling beam.

"Then I need to tell you something. That man, he smirked when he saw the witch attacking. Then he locked eyes with me and disappeared."

"I haven't had the chance to tell Star. I'll let them know that too." 

"It's been 6 hours. What have you been doing?" He smiled.

"I've been here. With you."  My eyes widen. "Didn't want you to be alone."

"You're not as rough and mean as you let on. Are you?" 

"No." He shook his head. "Not all the time anyway. But don't let anyone know. I have a reputation to keep." We laughed.

"What's your real name?" 

"You don't know?"

"Well you guys go by stage names. How are we supposed to know if the names Paul, Gene, Ace and Peter are really your names?" He laughed at my sass.

"Okay, fair enough. Gene is my name. I've changed my name a few times but I go by Gene."

"Gene." I said. I lent back against the pillows. "It fits." He rolled his eyes. We sat in silence for a few minutes, just holding hands. "Is everyone okay?"

"Yes. A few bumps and bruises but nothing to serious." He looked at me and his mind seemed to wander. I cocked my head to the side.

"What's on your mind? You've been acting strange since before the witch fiasco." I asked while petting the fox. He stayed silent and looked down. I lent forward. "Gene?"

"Well, we found out some information." I just sat listening. "About you."

"What?" I asked tentatively.

"About your...powers." He paused in the middle. I gasped and pulled away from him. "Flare?" He went to touch me but I backed away.

"No." I quickly got up from the bed.

"Flare! What's wrong?" I didn't answer but scrambled to get my shoes on. Once I did, I ran out  of the room. "Flare, wait!" I didn't stop and found my way out of the apartment. I was running down the stairs and nearly was at the bottom when I heard Gene the next time.

"Not good." I said to myself. I ran around the bottom of the stairs and towards the gate. I continued to run and jumped up, grabbing the top of the gate. I pulled myself up and threw myself over. Landing on my feet, I ran blindly.

"Flare!" I  heard one last time before I ran out of his sight. After a few minutes of non-stop running, I had to stop. I went to my knee, breathing heavily. A gentle hand was placed on my shoulder. I jumped and fell back, landing on my rear. I looked up and saw Chikara. She gave me a comfortable smile.

"Come with me, child." She held out her hand. I grabbed it and she pulled me up. Still holding my hand, she pulled me into her building. "Sit down." 

"Okay." I sat on her chair as directed.

"You had been sitting there for a few minutes." 

"Really? I thought..." I trailed off. She came back to me after a few minutes with a cup of tea. As I drank, she sat down next to me patiently.

"Better?" All I did was give a tight smile.

"I've been hiding if for so long." I said after a few moments of silence. "I've told no one about them. Well only one person. And not long after I told him...he died. I understand how you found out but not Gene." 

"Why did you run?" She asked while rubbing my back. 

"I don't know." I looked at my cup.  "I guess it scared me that he knew. I'm not proud of my powers. I wish I didn't have them." 

"But yet you work to make them stronger?"

"No, I work to be able to control and hide them." I said quickly. She smiled.

"Are you sure?" She got up and walked away. I watched her and was confused by her question. I lent back and sipped my tea.

Demon's POV

I ran after her to the stairs and watched her run and basically flew over the gate.

"Flare!" I called as she ran away. I watched her until she disappeared. I sighed and looked around in confusion. I slowly walked into my apartment. I paused, rubbing a hand on my neck. I then quickly ran to get my Demon gear back on and run back outside. Flying toward the main stage, I kept an eye out for her. As I came to the stage, the guys called out from their spots.

"Hey Curly!" Ace said. He was sitting on the ground, Cat was on the speakers, and Paul was standing center stage.

"How is out little light bender?" Peter asked.

"Well, she's awake." I said crossing my arms.

"What else?" Paul asked with his hands on his hips.

"She ran off." I closed my eyes and hardened my face.

"She ran off? Why?" Cat jumped down, asking.

"Well, I'm not for sure, but I did tell her that I know about her powers. She got upset and ran after I did."

"Strange. Did you see where she went?" I shook my head at Star. "Then let's go look for her."

"From the way she reacted and ran, she might not want to be found." 

"I might already know where she is." We all looked at Ace. He got up. "I noticed how her and Chikara were being close. She could be with her."

"At least she's somewhere safe." Star said. I nodded. 

"Guys, just before that attack, Flare and I saw a man watching all of us. I didn't recognize him but he had a KISSterian amulet on. Then Flare told me she saw him smirk when the Witch attacked. He locked eyes with her then disappeared." Their eyes widen.

"Could you see what type of amulet it was?" Ace asked.

"It was a mark amulet. It had the mark of...of Lethal on it." 

"What!" They all yelled. Shock over took them.

"How is that possible?" Cat threw his hands around.

"He's supposed to be..." Ace said as we looked around.

"Dead." I said. "But apparently someone didn't tell us the truth or he somehow came back to life."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will explain the Mark Amulet in the next chapter. ~ Nights Legacy