Ch. 13: Lost in Thought

I ran and ran until I knew I was as far as I could currently get from them without leaving the park. I could feel the adrenaline running through me. Paired with the emotions of everything, I felt like I was on a bad high with no end in sight.

"What the hell is going on?" I asked while raking my hands through my hair roughly. I turned visible and ripped off my jacket, chucking it in a random direction. Squatting down, I put my head between my knees to try and catch my breath. Only then did I look up to see where I was.

"I love it loud!" I could faintly hear playing through the speakers. I was near a few rides and concession stands near what seemed to be the back of the park. I didn't want to be found so I decided to hide off the ground. One of the near-by rides was an indoor one so I made the climb to the top. Finding a spot where I couldn't be seen from the ground, I sat down and fell into my own thoughts.

Demon's POV

I stood and watched as she ran off. As much as I wanted to follow, I knew she wanted to be alone. Needed to be. Even with the threats circulating. We all turned to River. He turned back to us.

"I just wanted to protect my best friend. I never thought there would be a day where I could show myself to her, to any of you." He looked at the ground.

"We understand River." Daphne walked over and set her hand on his shoulder. She looked surprised for a moment.

"The beliefs about the dead are not always right. Some ghosts can be solid." River gave her a sad smile. Finally deciding to speak, I walked right up to him. Daphne retreated once she saw me coming.

"Demon." Starchild tried to stop me. River didn't back down and met my glare with his own half-hearted one.

"As much as I want to scream, yell, and beat you to a pulp right now...I'm not going too." I spoke truthfully. His eyes widen with surprise. "I understand what you did and why you did it. To be truthful, I probably would do the same thing." I backed off.

"You would?" River asked. I nodded.

"Who knows, if Flare knew that you weren't gone, Lethal could have found out as well." I explained.

"Yeah." River looked off in the direction she went. "Sorry for calling you hot head. I was just trying to make a point."

"It's alright. It is true after all." I said but was cut off by laughter behind me. I slowly turned and glared at Spaceman and Catman. Starchild was trying not to laugh. "Seriously?"

"You said it not us!" Cat exclaimed through the laughs. I rolled my eyes.

"Alright. I also have seen how you care for her. I thank you." River redirected the conversation. "You have been able to help her open up again." I nodded in agreement.

"I think it's time to go and find the girl of topic before someone else, aka Lethal and the Crimson Witch, does." Velma stepped forward.

"Always the girl with an eye for focus." River said.

"She's right. We need to find her since she is the main target. I would say we need to split up and search but I am not sure if that's the best play right now." Fred commented.

"Actually, we should but in a different sense. The four of us will fly above the five of you. We'll search by air and from the high road while you search on ground for the low road." Paul said. "We can also keep an eye on each other that way."

"Good plan. Now let's go." Fred said while walking in the direction Flare took off.

Flare's POV

Somewhere in being lost in my thoughts I fell asleep on the roof top. I awoke to the feeling of someone staring at me. I stretched my back and slowly opened my eyes. My back went rigid when I saw Lethal kneeling in front of me.

"Hello there sweet heart. Did you sleep well?" He asked innocently. I gave him a confused but guarded look. "You were nearly killed earlier, you have to still be recovering slightly. Are you alright?"

"Why do you care?"

"It's not every day that you're nearly crushed by a beam." He smiled at me.

"Cut the crap, dipshit. What the hell do you want with me?" I yelled. I shot forward and pushed him to the ground. "You are a murdered and a wack job. You killed my best friend!"

"Oh, ho, oh. Someone found me out." He laughed on the ground. He rolled backwards onto his feet. He brushed off his pants and jacket. "That little friend of yours was in my way. I had to eliminate my obsticles. I will succeed."

"In your dreams. KISS has already defeated the Crimson Witch, so what is stopping them this time? A man with a revenge complex because his wife disappeared mysteriously." He growled.

"Be careful sweet heart, I won't regret my actions. I will do the same with those friends of yours in this park that I did to River. As well as KISS. All will be your fault. Everyone dying." Before he could say another word, I lashed out on him.

"NO!" I shot him with a light beam, knocking him off the roof. I ran to the edge and saw him on the ground. I could hear him laughing from up here.

"Your powers are stronger than I thought. That is great advantage." He got up slowly, keeping his eyes trained on me. "But can you fly yet?" Suddenly, a black mist shot toward me. It hit the building beneath my feet.

"Ah!" I was knocked off balance and started to fall to the ground by stopped right before I hit. I righted myself, glowing the color of burgundy. "I can slightly."

"Goody. The brat can even fly." He smiled evilly. He conjured and black ball. "Then how about I clip those pathetic wings of a pathetic little girl."