1

October 18, 2019

Sometimes things happen to you.

They may seem horrible, painful and unfair at first, but on reflection you find that without overcoming these obstacles,  you would have never realized your potential, your strength, your will power, or your heart...

I heard someone coming down the hall and quickly stashed my notebook under my pillow. As the door opened and I tried to look like I had been sitting in hospital bed doing nothing.

"It's fine Helena. It's only me." My nurse, Mary, said smiling.

I let out a sigh of relief, before taking my notebook out again.

"What are you writing today?" Mary asked as she looked over my vitals on the machines.

"I'm not exactly sure." I replied in my newly acquired scratchy voice, before showing her the page.

As she read, her lips moved slowly and silently, forming the words. She always did this, as if she would be betraying my trust if she read them aloud.

"That's really good." She said after a minute or so of silence.

"You think so?" I asked, not sure if she was being serious or sympathetic.

"When you get out of here you should become a writer." She simply replied.
I just smiled, taking my notebook back.

"So Halloween is pretty soon, what are you going to dress up as?" She asked, changing the subject.

"I'm not sure yet." I replied with a shrug.

I heard a new pair of footsteps coming toward my room and swiftly put my notebook under my pillow again. When the door opened this time, it revealed my mother.

"Hi Mama."

"Hi baby." She replied with a tired smile before kissing my cheek.
As I looked at her, I realised it wasn't just her smile that made her look tired. She had dark rings under her eyes and her hair looked like she hadn't brushed it in two days, which, when I think about it, she probably hadn't. She looked kind of like a Raccoon, and she can thank me for that.

She also kind of looked older than I remember. Her hair was in a messy bun that emphasised her gradually graying roots, due to stress and lack of sleep, also because of me.

Your welcome Mom! Now you look ten years older because I had to get Cancer!

"Helena, this is Mr. Asketh from the Make-a-Wish Foundation." Mama said motioning toward a tall man in a perfectly tailored suit.

I shook the man's hand and took the moment to study his features. His hair was dark brown with a stripe of gray on both sides of this head. His smile was very warm, but you could tell he was just trying covering up his sympathy for me. He can't fool me with just a smile.

"Hello Helena." Mr. Asketh said.

"Hi." I replied smiling, feeling my lips crack and start to bleed.

"As your mother just told you, I am from the Make-a-Wish Foundation and you have been nominated to have your biggest wish fufiled."
Okay... His voice doesn't seem like he is trying cover up sympathy, but he is just used to this sort of thing I guess.

"Oh." I said, not sure how to respond.

"Would you like to think about your wish?" He asked.

"Um..." I replied dumbly, wracking my brain for something, when suddenly my stomach did a flip.

"I want my favorite band to play me a song."

"Alright! What is your favorite band?" Mr. Asketh asked, taking out a small notepad.

"My favorite band is My Chemical Romance."

"Okay! We will be back in a few weeks to fulfil your wish."

"Thank you, sir." I said shaking his hand one final time before he left the room.

~~~~~~~~

Hello!!!

Rayne here!

What do you think so far? Anything I can fix?

XoRayne❤