Prologue

"Right, just make sure you get the details to his manager before you leave tonight," Anushka instructs into her phone as she shuts the door to the cab and walks around the back towards the trunk

She'd landed at Heathrow just half an hour earlier after an excruciatingly long flight from LA. Although she'd fallen asleep for a good majority of the flight, she still felt exhausted and was glad that one of her panicked assistants had called her with a crisis so it would keep her awake on the ride to Aryan's.

The London air is familiar and Anushka is truly fond of it at heart, but it's so cold and bitter and she's tucking her chin against her chest so her ears are covered by the collar of the jacket she's wearing. The cab driver is pulling out her bags from the trunk, luckily she doesn't have a lot of luggage since her parents had all the wedding related things ready to go at their house.

A smile slides onto her face as she realizes that she's finally home, and for her childhood best friends wedding at that. She nods in thanks at the cab driver and pays him with the phone wedged between her cheek and shoulder as she hands him the bills. He tips his hat at her and she shoves her wallet back into the mess that is her carry on bag before she pulls the handles up on her two bags and starts walking towards the house she's spent countless hours in.

She shuffles through the gate successfully, her medium length black hair blowing around her face less like a graceful curtain and more like it's a replication of Medusa's snakes, blowing into her eyes. Anushka presses her face tighter to her shoulder as she shuffles her way sideways to the front door, hoping that it gets her hair to blow one way and not both.

"I know, he's difficult," she murmurs, soothing the frantic girl on the other line. She bites her lip, "Just get the info to his manager and he'll handle it from there. That's where our job ends, love."

She releases one of her bags and watches as it helplessly tips over and falls face down on the front stoop. She'd done the same move about 14 years ago running after Aryan when he'd stolen a long forgotten toy, resulting in two skinned knees, a lot of tears, and Aryan's dad yelling at him after he'd put Hello Kitty bandaids on her injuries. She knocks on the door as she hears the girl repeating her instructions to someone else.

The door opens and she grins widely when she spots her ridiculously handsome best friend, Aryan,  step out and return her smile. But it quickly fades and Anushka's eyebrows push together as she watches him turn grumpy. He crosses his arms over his blue sweater and rolls his eyes before stepping outside to pull Anushka's phone from the careful hold she's had it in.

"Ary-"

But he's already speaking into the phone and giving Anushka a pointed look, "Anushka is on vacation now! You have a good day, or night, whatever it is in LA. Bye love." Then he hangs up and deposits her phone into his pocket with a triumphant look.

"You can't just hang up on my business calls!" Anushka cries, giving him an incredulous look.

Aryan ignores her and leans down to grab her fallen bag and then the other out of her hand and brings it inside before he grabs her by the hand and pulls her inside. He shuts the door and leans back against it before speaking, "Nush, I have you for 2 weeks and I intend on holding your attention for every minute of it." He pauses and smirks, "And I know that was an assistant."