The Mehndi

The Mehndi is a pre wedding ritual that occurs for the bride and her family. Traditionally, the groom is not present. The application of the mehndi, or henna, symbolizes many things like joy, good luck, and the bond of marriage. The longer the mehndi lasts for the bride, the more auspicious it is for the bride and groom. 

When Anushka wakes up the next morning, her face is resting against something very soft

When Anushka wakes up the next morning, her face is resting against something very soft. In fact, it's so soft that she finds herself snuggling impossibly closer to it, only to realize that something else is digging mercilessly into the skin of her left leg. With her eyes still closed she lets out a soft whine, shifting her legs to get away from the object only to have them bump into something else that is a bit more sturdy.

It's enough to annoy her enough to open her eyes. So she slowly flutters her eyes open and blinks into the light of her hotel room, looking up through her long lashes as she tilts her head up a little.

Her half open laptop is the source of the jab, but it's long forgotten when Anushka's eyes fall on the sweatpant clad legs next to her. Her eyes widen and she realizes that the softness is not the hotel duvet or the pillows, but it's Harry. In fact, the both of them are asleep on top of the undoubtedly fluffy blankets and wrapped up in each other instead. She goes very still, holding her breath as she turns her head to the right, her black hair falling into her face as she tilts her head up a little. Harry's got his chin just barely resting on the top of her head and the softness against Anushka's cheek is the fabric of his jumper that she's practically buried herself into. Harry's got his arm around her, the sleeve of his sweatshirt pushed up and exposing some of the tattoos on his skin. Harry makes a snuffling sound and Anushka freezes again as he lifts his chin from her hair and settles back far enough for her to get a glance at his face.

He looks calm and absolutely at peace. His lashes fall against his skin softly and his hair is mussed in that annoying, perfect way that makes Anushka want to take the risk and run her fingers through it. His lips are soft and in a thin line, but not one that suggests he's upset or hasn't had a good sleep. He looks, well, amazing. And a part of her has to admit that while waking up to this was the last thing she ever expected, she doesn't entirely mind. Pictures really didn't do Harry an ounce of justice.

Anushka lets her hand rest against his chest when his arm tightens around her. Neither of their alarms have gone off yet, so she's not worried about getting up. And her eyes are growing heavier and Harry's just so comfy...

When Harry stirs an hour later, he's just as shocked at the sight of the cuddly girl that fits perfectly in his arms. But he doesn't move away. He pushes his toes against her legs and ever so gently brushes his lips against her hairline. It doesn't go unnoticed by him that Anushka is clutching to the fabric of his jumper and that she's snoring ever so softly against it. It makes the day's first bold smile appear on his face and he hides it in her hair, noting how she smells of blueberries. He figures it's a lotion, but he can't stop smelling it. Most girls wear something floraly or overwhelming, but Anushka's scent is addictive enough for him to realize he'll never not think of her anytime he has blueberries in the future.