Chapter Nine: Part One

Forneus rested his hand on Gwen's forehead one last time, relieved when he noticed her fever had finally broken. He'd spent the past hour dabbing at her face with a damp cloth, listening as she mumbled incoherently in her fever-induced delirium. Perhaps now that the worst had passed, he could finally be at ease.

He kept his touch gentle, tracing the smooth skin above her right eyebrow and down her cheek, careful not to wake her. He smiled when she let out a contented sigh, her lips parting as she turned her head to the side, snuggling deeper into her pillow.

Seeing her so innocent and at peace, he felt his worries ebbing away, taking the last traces of wakefulness with them. Fatigue settled into each one of his limbs, weighing him down like lead, Forneus only then realizing just how exhausted he really was. Pulling the comforter higher up so that it sat just beneath her chin, he gave one final, gentle caress to her cheek, then turned on his heel, his boots clacking softly as he made his way over to the marble door.

With a last glance to make sure he hadn't woken her, Forneus stepped out into the glittering corridor beyond—catching himself just before he could collide with the figure that had suddenly appeared there. Gaze straying from the two hoops in the other's right ear to the slightly widened, tawny eyes staring back at him, he drew back in surprise, his back meeting the corridor wall.

Unable to tear his gaze away, he forced his expression into one of detachment, completely belying the tightness in his chest. Phenex stared back at him, a shadow of uncertainty passing over his face; as though trying to decide whether Forneus was still angry with him or not.

Electricity hummed beneath the surface of his skin, and Forneus clenched his fists to keep it from manifesting. After the things Phenex had said, after he had left Forneus and Gwen to go after the caduceus on their own—had left Forneus to defend a large population of humans on his own—there should have been no question on the matter. If Phenex had been where he was supposed to be, where he was needed, Gwen wouldn't have gotten hurt in the first place.

But then again, what if she had?

Perhaps I'm as much to blame as he is. The thought nagged at Forneus again, just as it had upon returning to the Spectrum. He hadn't been fast enough, hadn't been strong enough to come to Gwen's aid when she had needed him most. It didn't matter that Phenex had shown up in the nick of time, wrenching her from death's grasp. It didn't matter that she'd only fainted after she'd restored the caduceus, no different than the times before. He still blamed himself. If he had been a better guardian, Gwen would have been safe.

Now was not the time for self-pity, however. "Why are you here?"

His tone had the desired effect. Phenex met his gaze, his expression wary. "I merely wanted to know how the girl was faring. After everything she's endured, I thought..." He trailed off, eyes lowered.

Feeling ashamed? Good, you ought to be, Forneus thought bitterly.

An uncomfortable silence passed before Forneus replied, his tone curt. "Gwen is fine. Now, if you'll excuse me," he stepped around Phenex, avoiding his gaze, "it has been a long, trying day. I wish to retire for the evening." He was halfway passed him when he felt a hand clamp down on his shoulder, stopping him mid-step.

"Forneus, wait."

Shrugging Phenex's hand from his shoulder, Forneus kept on going. His footfalls echoed sharply as he made his way toward the main levels, doing his best to ignore the plaintive calls behind him. This proved far more difficult than he would have imagined, though fortunately he managed not to falter in his steps until after he'd rounded the first corner, safely hidden from sight.