Chapter Seventeen: Part One

"Gwen, I promise I won't drop you, so could you please cut that out?" Phenex gave a soft snort of laughter, his shoulders shaking beneath her fingertips. "It tickles."

Gwen drew back, but not so far that she wasn't still clinging to his back like a baby koala, her cheek pressed firmly against his shoulder. Why they had decided on having Phenex carry her piggyback style, she would never understand. Oh sure, Forneus had explained, amid her protesting, that things would go a lot faster if one of them served as her legs, since the majority of the mission would involve teleportation jumps all throughout—both for the sake of speed, and for the sake of evading as many enemies as possible along the way. But she knew, despite them not having said so, it was also intended to bypass her human frailties.

That's what it really came down to, even if they were too polite to say it. She was far more likely to get sick if she had to move on her own power after teleportation, than if someone were to carry her every step of the way. And teleportation sickness aside, the amount of running involved would tire her out long before it would either of them.

This is absolutely degrading. I'm fifteen, for crying out loud! I'm not—

"Gwen." Phenex's voice dragged her back to the present, shaking with suppressed laughter. "Please, you're breathing on my neck."

"Sorry." Gwen removed her head from his shoulder. "Have I mentioned that I really, really don't like heights? Why didn't you guys tell me we'd be so high up?" She turned accusing eyes on Forneus. He stood to the right, arms folded across his chest.

The corners of his mouth twitched, and Forneus replied, "If we had told you, would you have done as you were bid?" At her scowl, he chuckled. "Besides, it is likely we will traverse greater heights than this, if the artifact is indeed within Prague Castle's grounds, as we think."

Gwen pulled a face. "If that was supposed to make me feel better, it failed." Then, attention returning to Phenex, she giggled. "Hmm...I didn't know you were ticklish, Phenex."

"Whatever you're thinking of doing, I wouldn't if I were you," he warned, glancing over his shoulder at her. "I just might accidentally drop you into the river. It's a pretty long fall, in case you haven't noticed, and that water looks pretty damn cold..." He trailed off, giving a theatrical shudder that nearly dislodged Gwen from her position on his back.

"You wouldn't dare."

"Try me." He was all teeth now, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"But you just swore two minutes ago that you wouldn't drop me."

"And I won't—as long as you don't do exactly what it is you're thinking of doing right now."

"Honestly," Forneus sighed, smiling in spite of himself. "You two are more of a handful now that you get along, than you ever were beforehand."

"Well maybe if you hadn't forced us into this completely ridiculous position, we wouldn't be such a handful," Gwen replied, frowning. "I can walk, you know."

"We've been over this Gwen," Forneus said, ever-patient. "You may not like it, but it is necessary. Besides, between you and Phenex, I think it's safe to say you got the better part of the deal, don't you?"

"Yeah," Phenex chimed in, "you're not exactly light, you know."

"Are you calling me fat?" Gwen countered, narrowing her eyes.

"I didn't say that." There was laughter in Phenex's voice when he answered, his shoulders shaking with silent mirth. "Why, Gwen? Do you think you're fat?"

Gwen snorted in response. Hearing a distant splash, she turned her attention to the Vltava River far below, gaze skimming its glass-like surface. Nothing stirred.

By this time, most of the fog coming off the water had begun to dissipate. Gwen glanced behind to see the sun rising over the many skyscrapers that lined the horizon in the part of Prague known as Old Town; tinges of pink, orange, and lavender blending in with the sky's natural blue. The buildings themselves were difficult to make out, no more than dark shapes while slivers of sunlight peeked through the cracks between them, a fiery ball of orange painting the clouds in hues of gold and red.

Turning her head to the right, she could see a number of bridges running adjacent to the one they were on, all of them appearing to be of a much older construction than the Charles Bridge. If she squinted just right, she thought she could make out the members of the Fifth Unit standing sentry at their entrances, barely more than silhouettes in the distance.

Gwen had just begun wondering if she, Forneus, and Phenex looked the same way to them, when it finally happened. There was a brief flash of green light in the distance, and within a matter of seconds, a concentrated trail of ether had made its way to where they stood on the bridge, weaving between the assorted houses and high-rise buildings separating them from Prague Castle.

"Asclepius's signal," Phenex said, readjusting his hold on Gwen. "It's about time!"

Forneus nodded, though whether it was in acknowledgement of what Phenex had said or simply an absentminded motion on his part, Gwen didn't know. "Now remember; I need at least a three minute lead," he said, casting a worried glance in Gwen's direction. "That way, if there's anyone or anything blocking our path, I—"

"Don't worry Forneus," Gwen interrupted, offering him a reassuring smile. "It'll be fine. In and out mission, right? Just like you said."

Even as she said it, her heart started beating faster, her throat uncomfortably dry. In truth, she was terrified, but what good would it do to tell him that now? It would just make him worry more than he already did, and that was the last thing any of them needed. What if, while he was in the middle of scouting ahead, he was so preoccupied with worrying over her safety he forgot all about his own? What if an enemy took advantage of his distraction, and he got hurt because of it...or worse? What if he...

Gwen gave herself a mental shake, forcing the thought to the back of her mind. If she wanted Forneus to keep his resolve during the mission and not worry incessantly about her, she would have to do the same. There was too much at stake to let her mind wander like this.

When her focus returned to Forneus, she could see the briefest flicker of uncertainty in his eyes as they flicked between her and Phenex. Then just as quickly, it was gone, and he was smiling up at her again.

"Yes, of course. It shouldn't be any trouble at all," he said. Then almost pleading, he added, "Be careful."

"We will," Gwen promised. "And you...you'd better be careful, too. I—" She faltered, reaching out toward him just to lower her arm again. She'd been about to say, "I don't want to lose you". But whether from embarrassment or fear that it would come true if she said it out loud, she couldn't bring herself to utter the words.

Luckily, she didn't need to. When Forneus took her hand in his, gently squeezing her fingers, she knew he understood.

When he released her, it was all Gwen could do to keep herself from begging him not to go. She didn't know why, but she had a bad feeling, as though she would never see him again. She kept silent, however, dropping her hand back to Phenex's shoulder.

For a long moment, both guardians just stared at one another.

Finally, Phenex broke the silence. "I'll keep her safe. I promise."

Forneus said nothing, simply clapping a hand on his shoulder in reply. Then with a smile and a nod, he took off, teleporting high into the air and landing on one of the buildings just opposite from the Charles Bridge. Gwen barely caught a glimpse of him as he vaulted from rooftop to rooftop, navy blue coat streaming out behind him like a cape, before he dropped down between the buildings, completely disappearing from sight.

*